So called scarf help

I have knit a million and one dishcloths.

I am tired of them. I really want to make the “my so called scarf” but this is my first project other than dishcloths, and I am slightly confused by the wording of the pattern.

Row 1: K1, sl 1, K1, [b]psso but before dropping the slipped stitch from the left needle, knit into the back of it repeat until there is one stitch left[/b], K1

•Row 2: P2tog, do not slip stitches off the needle, purl the first stitch again, slip both stitches off needle

What does the bolded part mean exactly? I get the psso, but how do I knit into the back of it? If it was a regular knit stitch, I think I could get it, but I don’t know how to knit into the back of a stitch… :shrug:

That’s worded tricky even for experienced knitters. Ingrid posted her translation of it, which is easier to `get’: Sl 1, k 1, yo, pass the slipped stitch over both the k1 and yo. It’s the same thing, just easier to get your mind around.

sue

Thank you!

I am going to get my first “real yarn” tomorrow (the one used in the original pattern- I love the way hers looked!) and I really needed to know what to do.

Okay- so I am trying it this way… but both my K1 and my YO twist over each other…
How am I managing that and what do I do?

I’ve made two of these, and I’m not quite sure what you mean.

You slip a stitch as if to knit, knit 1, yo, and then lift the slipped stitch off the needle over the knit and yo. This groups the knit and yo together.

Maybe this will help?

:smiley:

Thank you sooo much! That is EXACTLY what I needed!!! Whoohoo!

I feel kind of stupid now that I can so plainly see it, lol…

No problem! Isn’t the Internet great? :smiley:

Yes it is! btw-- did you make that video?? I just noticed the name and made the connection, lol. Did you make this video just to help me?? If you did- that is the most awesome ting ever… and even if you didn’t, it is still really awesome, lol.

Wow…that was a GREAT video, Julie!! I wish I could knit as fast as you. I think I’m holding my yarn incorrectly. Is that Continental knitting?

Anyway, I’ve attempted “My So-Called Scarf” three times, but couldn’t get it to work correctly. I’ve finally purchased the correct yarn and am going to give it another try tonight. Thanks for the visual!!

:muah: :muah: :muah:

Yes, yes, and yes :smiley: and you’re welcome :smiley:

I have to say, I’ve learned everything I know about knitting here, mostly from Amy’s videos, so I completely understand the need to see something in action to understand it. :thumbsup: