Slouchy V neck sweater - I need some help please!

Hello all!
It’s been a while since I’ve been on, and as usual, I’m in need of some help!
I hope this is going to make sense, as I’m not really sure where the problem is, so please bear with!..
I’ve completed the back of a V neck sweater and am now just starting the front. My pattern, for the back, starts with 158 stitches, working in pattern, decreasing 1 st at each end of 17th and 9 foll 10th row, leaving 138 sts. So far so good, I’ve read that as decreasing 1st at each end of rows 17,27,37,47,57,67,77,87,97,107. Correct or not, that’s what I did, and it worked out, 138 sts. 107 rows. (And it looks right!) Then continue straight until back measures 48cm ending with right side facing for next row to shape the raglan armholes. That turned out to be 128 rows. All good. Armholes shaped, back finished, stitches on a holder, start the front. So I have to work as for the back until 30 rows less have been worked than on back to beg of raglan armhole shaping then divide for the neck, working on 69 sts (half of 138) .
Still with me?!
My problem is, after doing the maths, that means 98 rows. At 98 rows I still haven’t finished my decreasing, that doesn’t finish till row 107, so I’ll still have 140sts. Should I just carry on working with 140sts,decreasing on row 107 anyway?
If anyone can help with this I’d be very grateful, and if anyone makes sense of this, I’ll be very amazed!
Thanks in anticipation!

You can shape the neck at the same time as you shape the sides. You still haven’t gotten to the raglan shaping so there shouldn’t be a problem. Divide for the neck at 70 sts (half of 140), continue with the instructions for the neck shaping and on row 107, work the last side edge decrease.

Hello Salmonmac!
Thanks so much for that! I thought I’d gone wrong somewhere! Is that a common problem? I’m not a very experienced knitter, usually cardigans, but the neck shaping principal is the same, and I’ve never come across that before!
Again, thanks for your help!
:grinning:

Yes, sometimes patterns will even tell you “At the same time…” so that after a certain number of rows or a given measurement, you are working two kinds of shaping.
It may also a be a difference in row gauge. It’s better to get stitch gauge and sometimes leave row gauge unmet. Patterns will give measurements in most cases instead of rows anyway. But sometimes patterns want you to work an increase or decrease after a certain number or rows and so you have to consider both.
Good luck with the pattern and post a photo when you finish!