Slipping the first stitch?

I’m new to knitting, and only just finished my first project (a soaker). Now suddenly I’m seeing people talking about slipping the first stitch on each row whenever you knit. I have four questions about this:

1. What is the benefit of slipping the first stitch of each row?

2. Does it really hurt anything if you don’t?

3. When working from a pattern, do you add stitches to account for the slipped stitches, or do you just slip the first stitch of each row regardless of what the pattern calls for?

4. When wouldn’t you slip the first stitch of a row?

Thanks for your answers!

about slipping the first stitch on a row–it makes a neater, smoother edge on scarves or small blankets, dish/face cloths. i’venot added stitches for this, but on asweater or something that you must seam together, don’t know if you need to add one–wouldn’t think so tho. linknit41

Slipping the first stitch on each row will give you a neater edge. Great for scarfs, sweaters, etc…

It doesn’t matter if you don’t, however, if a pattern calls for you to slip the first stitch on each row - my advice follow the pattern, especially if you are new to knitting as there may be a reason for the slipped stitch. The first time that I make something, I follow the pattern - the next time through I make changes if I want.

You don’t need to add stitches when you are slipping - unless you are passing the slip stitched over as part of the pattern not a decrease in a pattern. This is seen in lace or openwork patterns and then the added stitch is usually a yarn over.

Always read through the pattern completly - sometimes this can be a challange to visualize what it will look like. This does get easier as you knit more and more. When in doubt knit a sample of the pattern - this gives you an idea of how it will look, and give you practice prior to knitting on the item.

Good luck and happy knitting :knitting:

I don’t slip sts because they end up looser and messier than just knitting or purling the first stitch.

So no, you don’t have to. Even if the pattern says to.