Slip stitch edging at the end of a row?

I’m making the click-clack vest from the Rowan “Big Just Got Bigger” pattern book.

I’m at the “shaping armhole” part. Since it’s a vest and no sleeves will be connected, Rowan recommends Slip Stitch Edgings when a row end edge forms the actual finished edge of a garment.

Here’s how the book says to work slip stitch edging:

“To work a slip stitch edging at the end of a RS row, work across the row until there is one stitch left on the left needle. Pick up the loop lying between the needles and place this loop on the right needle. This loop does NOT count as a stitch. Now slip the last stitch knitwise with the yarn at the back of the work. At the beginning of the next row, P together the first slipped stitch with the picked-up loop.”

For the WS row:
same as above until Now slip the last stitch purlwise with the yarn at the front of the work. At the beginning of the next row, K together tbl the first slipped stitch with the picked-up loop."

I understand how to do the above (with the exception of purling into the back loop…) but what confuses me is the pattern directions which are as follows:

"Working a slip st edging, at both ends of rows, cont as folls:
Next row (RS) Patt 1 st, K2tog tbl, K to last 3 sts, K2tog, patt 1 st
Nest row: patt 1 st, P2tog, P to last 3 sts, P2tog tbl, patt 1 st.

So…do the directions mean that for each row I should follow the slip edge stitch above – at both the beginning and ending of the row? I tried that, but since you pick up the slipped stitch once you work the next row – it doesn’t really work.

If you’re still with my post at this point – and are not as completely confused ad I am, can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance for your help.

What I get is that you do your decreases on the two st before the last st.
Then do the sl st edging using the last st and the bar between the dec and the last st.

the sl st edging only gets done at the end of the row.

You do your dec at both end of each row.

You purl through the back loop by bringing your r needle around the back of the left needle and going through the back of the st from l to r. It’s awkward, but it can be done.

I hope this covers everything. :smiley: