Slightly out with stitch count/tension, how important?

Hulloo! I’m currently in the middle of doing my first big knitting project, a hooded yoga jumper from a magazine (am I allowed to say which one?). Tension calls for 18 stitches and 24 rows over a 6" (10cm) square, my row count is correct but I have 20 stitches instead of 18. Is this going to make a big difference in the grand scheme of things, or will the top just be a bit baggier? It’s the back piece in question as it’s the only bit done so can correct other pieces if need be.

You can tell how much bigger the hoodie is going to be by measuring the back. If that’s ok, then just go ahead with the same needles and the larger gauge.
It is quite a bit bigger however so maybe that won’t work. It’s good to get both stitch and row gauge but more important to get stitch gauge. Usually rows are measure in inches anyway. (One exception is raglan sleeves, so if row gauge is off you’d need to fudge a bit to get the pattern to work.)
Dropping down a needle size or two might do it for you. You can test it out on a swatch.

It’s ok to tell us where the pattern is from and even to give a link or a pattern name. A row or two of the instructions if not shown in the link is ok too. Copyright rules don’t allow reprinting large sections or whole patterns however.

Thank you, it is from the Art of Knitting magazine, in the first mag I think? Essentially it’s 37" in st st then shape raglan sleeves. Row gauge is fine, just the stitch gauge is 2 stitches off.

10 cm = 4 inches (not 6) When you measure a gauge swatch you do your measuring over 4 inches so measure that and compare to the gauge given in the pattern. 2 stitches doesn’t sound like a lot, but remember that’s 2 stitches more every 4 inches (unless you measured the gauge incorrectly).

It may just make the sweater a little baggier, but it could also make it just too big. I knit very loose and even though my gauge was correct every sweater I’ve made is too big. Sigh.

Getting the gauge right could be even more important when you start knitting your sleeves, given they are raglan style. If you have thin upper arms, then your gauge might work. But if they are regular size, then your sleeve could be smaller than you need. Figuring out whether a raglan sleeve fits is much harder than a bottom up stitch while in progress. Do a new swatch with larger needles, even just one size up. I hate swatching too.

Ok, thanks @Jan_in_CA that makes more sense, I thought it was just an extra couple of stitches but forgot that it’s every 10cm! Why are raglan sleeves so different?

Stitches are picked up around the armhole and knit down to cuff in many raglans and there’s not much, if any, shaping involved in top down seamless. But, I gather from your comments that yours isn’t seamless?

No, raglan sleeves are on straight needles, :slight_smile:

Knitting at your gauge will make the sweater smaller, not larger.

If the back were 24 inches across, at 18 stitches per 4 inches, you’d need 108 stitches. But if you make it at 20 stitches per 4 inches, that same 108 stitches will give you a back that’s 21.6 inches wide.

You’ll either have to match the gauge, or add more stitches to make it the same size.