Sleeves have holes

I am working on the pattern Coco Chenille by Cathy Carron. As you make the increases for the sleeves, I am getting holes where the yo’s are. I am not using the chenille they recommend, because I can’t find it in both colors (and it is pretty pricey), I am using a super bulky yarn. Would the holes be less noticeable if I was using a chenille yarn? Can you recommend a less expensive chenille or other similar yarn?

What pattern is it? Do you have a link? Is the yarn weight the same as the suggested yarn?

It’s possible you may be able to use a different increase, but I don’t have enough info.

Coco Chenille

by Cathy Carron

Published in

Short Story: Chic Knits for Layering

Craft
Knitting

Category

Shrug / Bolero

Published
October 2012

Yarns suggested
Filatura Di Crosa Cincillà

Yarn weight
Super Bulky (5-6 wpi)

Gauge
7 stitches and 14 rows = 4 inches in over ridged striping using size 13 (9mm) circular needle.
I am using super bulky wool and acrylic…Next (inc) rnd with B, purl to first marker(front) sl marker, p1 ,yo, purl to 1 st beforenext marker(left sleeve), yo,p1, sl marker, p1,yo, purl to 1 st before next marker (back) yo, p1, sl marker…

The chenille yarn would probably fill in the yarn overs. If you think the yarn overs are just an increase and not both an increase and a feature of the pattern, then change to another increase as Jan suggested. There are several on the increases page including the Make one Away, that would work just fine and won’t leave a hole with your yarn.

Here’s the sweater on ravelry. YOs make holes, if you’re doing them as increases, try another one, or work them through the back leg on the next row to close them up. I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be open and holey - if there’s decs with the YOs then they should be there.