Size of blocks?

Hi,

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. I am new to knitting and ready to branch out but don’t have the skills yet to plan what I visualize.

I am planning on making a throw out of knitted blocks. I am going to alternate blocks of plaid with blocks of a Scottish terrier.

The two charts I have are different sizes. The Scottie chart is 47 x 60 stitches and the plaid chart is 24 x 24 stitches.

How can I make them the same size overall? Do I knit the plaid blocks in a larger yarn than the Scottie blocks? Is it all about gauge here? I am new enough that I know I have a problem but not what options I have to fix it.

Thanks,
Anna

[color=indigo]I think the easiest would be to make the smaller blocks the same number of sts as the larger one. Either rewrite the pattern to the same number of sts, or add a border to it…[/color]

Thanks for your reply!! I’m not sure how to calculate it. However, I did find instructions on making my own chart on Photoshop from pictures. Maybe I could get a picture of a Scottie and make a smaller chart?

The plaid chart should indicate its repeat (6, 8, 12 or ?). Increase the number of times you do that repeat…if orig has two, try four or five… to get as close to the other chart w/o making it larger. If just under 60, plan to add a border to make up the diff.

If uncertain about the plaid repeat, post the chart info.

cam

Thank you for the suggestion, and apologies for the delay in responding. I have been studying plaid since then and apparently knitting plaid isn’t really possible. I thought that I would use a fair isle technique, but it will just look like squares and rectangles of color. I am not sure what I am going to do. I thought about making the afghan with squares of only Scotties and backing it with a plaid fabric.

Still in the planning stage, I guess! :?