Simply knitting issue56 sweater help

Hello Everyone :waving:
I need some serious help with this sweater i am knitting…it is making NO sense to me at all. I am hoping someone has this issue of Simply Knitting so that they may look at the picture of the sweater, it is in issue 56, July 2009, the title is Denim Delight and starts on page 36.
Ok i am finished with the ribbing and i am on row 3 (WS of work), this row says knit all the PURLS and purl all the KNITS. I think for SURE this is a typo because if you look at the picture it looks like between the cables is st st. also how the heck are the cables going to come out if you are knitting on the WS of the work?
[COLOR=red]If you have this Magazine PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get back to me ASAP…i need to get this sweater finished by October 5th! [/COLOR]
thanks in advance!

Row 3 is a wrong side, so maybe the pattern is formed more on the RS rows? The cables are only crossed every few rows, not every row, and you’ll be doing those on the RS. From the picture I found on Ravelry, it does look like R 3 is reversed from what you’d think, so I’d do a few more rows following the pattern to see how it comes out. There’s no errata listed on the website and the projects didn’t mention a problem, so just ‘trust the pattern’.

This is the 3rd row after the ribbing stops? What did it tell you to do for row 2? Row 2 would be first RS row and that would tell us a lot. Could you quote that row exactly?

This looks like there is Rev St st on the right side between cables. That is standard as it makes the St st cable parts stand out from the surface. For a pattern like this you would normally have some knit stitches and some purl stitches to work when you do either the RS or the WS, but it is usually knit the knits and purl the purls, not as you said, “this row says knit all the PURLS and purl all the KNITS.”:??

It may be that row 3 is where the rev st st begins. It would be helpful to have just rows 1-4 and maybe we can figure it out from there.

I have this magazine and it says exactly what you say. The posts above make sense. Just do a few rows and see if it looks like the photo.

Sue,
Here are the first 4 rows of the pattern: I am making size 11-12yrs so the pattern AFTER the rib says this:
Start Row(RS): p7, (p1,k4,p1)3 times, *P1, K4,P8,K4,P7; REP FROM *3 times, (p1, k4, p1)4 times, p7

Row1(WS): k7, (k1,p4,k1)3 times, *k1,p4,k8,p4,k7; rep from * 3times, (k1,p4,k1)4 times, k7

Row2: p7, (p1,k4,p1)3 times, *p1,k4,p7,BCk, FCk, p6; rep from *3 times, (p1,k4,p1)4 times, p7

Row 3 and all alt rows:(WS) knit the purl sts and purl the knit sts from previous ros, this will keep the cable in ST ST and the background in reverse st st.

Row 4: P7, (p1, BKC,p1)3 times, *p1, BKC,p6, BCk,k2, FCk, p5; rep from *3 times (p1,BKC,p1)4 times, p7

Abbreviations: FCK: sl2 to CN, hold at front, k1, k2 from CN
BCk: sl1 to CN, hold at back, k2, k1 from CN
BKC: sl 2 to CN hold at back, k2, k2 from CN
I will do a few more more rows today and then repost later tonite to let ya’ll know what it looks like.
THANKS to everyone for the advice it is much appreciated! :cheering:

Yep, that’s in line with what it looks like in the picture. On R 3 you’re reversing the sts (purl the knits and knit the purls) from how you began the section. So do several rows beyond and it will begin to look like the picture. It takes more than 3 or 4 rows for patterns to emerge most of the time, till then they just look jumbled up for the most part.

STOP!! Do not trust this pattern. :lol: I tried this out on the needles and they have a little non-standard way they have written this on row 3.

Row 3 and all alt rows:(WS) knit the purl sts and purl the knit sts from previous ros, this will keep the cable in ST ST and the background in reverse st st.

This is the WS (and the set up row and row 2 were RS rows) row. They want you to keep the St st for the cables and the Rev St st for the background. And although written weird they sort of give directions for that. They say "knit the purl sts and purl the knit sts [B]from previous rows[/B]. That is not the way patterns are written, they usually say knit the knits and purl the purls, meaning as they appear in the next row, and that is what they [B]mean[/B] to say here, but it is weird and non-standard that we can’t understand it. :eyes: They said to “knit the purl sts and purl the knit sts from previous rows”, in other words reverse what you did on the last row, if you knit it, purl it, if you purl it knit it. (I actually saw some gal on Ravelry ranting that they should be written just the way this pattern does, for clarity. Maybe she wrote this pattern. :lol: )

If you read this row 3 as knit the knits and purl the purls or “work stitches as they appear” you will be on track. If you trust the pattern (usually a good idea), every other row will completely scramble things so that you never have St st on one side and Rev St st on the other.

All i have to say is I LOVE YOU! :muah: I knew it i just knew it, i should have went with my gut! at least i only have to rip out 2 rows because I just couldnt go on with the knitting until I got the answer to this! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Aha! You’re right, I totally overlooked ‘stitches from the previous row’ because I’m so used to the usual k the Ks and P the Ps etc wording.

Thanks for taking time to work this one out Merigold. :hug:

You’re welcome, lovemyknitting! :hug:

Sue, yeah, I didn’t think about them meaning that at first either. I thought maybe they had just written the opposite of what they meant, but I guess they just thought this was a clear way of putting it. :eyes: Knit the knits and purl the purls is so much more common. When knitting it I realized they had to mean that even if they hadn’t said it. But I think they did say it in a “throw the horse over the fence some hay” sort of way. :lol:

But I think they did say it in a “throw the horse over the fence some hay” sort of way

:lol: