Simple Pattern Chart: please explain

Alright, I am currently mobile. I am a beginner knitter who is used to long/short hand instructions. I will post a link in a moment to the pattern in question. The chart is confusing because it is like, 3 rows of 40? I assume the sts in the defined lines of the chart are the pattern.

Do I go left to right, up to down all the way across, or is the sts outside of the defined line the border and the ones inside are the pattern to be repeated every 38 sts? And when I start a new row on my needles, I slip the first st right?

This pattern.

the full pattern repeat is the inner 34 stitches. the 3 stitches on each side (6 stitches total) are the border. so if you wanted to make something bigger using the full pattern, you’d use 34+6 as your repeat… 34+6=40, 68+6=74, 102+6=108, etc.

the chart starts in the lower right corner and works to the left, as a ‘right side’ is row 1.

row 2 is the middle row of the chart. you work it left to right, because it’s the ‘wrong’ side of your item.

row 3 is the top row and just like row 1, you work it right to left because it’s a ‘right’ side.

the written pattern for ONE repeat would be:

row 1 (‘right’ side):
slip 1, knit 2 for border. begin main pattern: knit 17, knit 10, knit 7. knit the last 3 for the border. (essentially, slip the 1st one, knit everything else.)

row 2 (‘wrong’ side):
slip 1, purl 2 for border. begin main pattern: purl 7, purl 10, purl 17. (essentially, slip the 1st one, purl everything else.)

row 3 (‘right’ side):
slip 1, knit 2 for border. begin main pattern: k2tog, knit 5, yarnover, knit 1, yarnover, knit 5, k2tog -section break- k2tog, knit 4, yarnover, knit 1, yarnover, knit 1 -section break- knit 5, k2tog. knit the last 3 for the border.

row 3 can be simplified as:
slip 1, knit 2, k2tog, knit 5, yarnover, knit 1, yarnover, knit 5, k2tog twice, knit 4, (yarnover, knit 1) twice, knit 5, k2tog, knit 3.

i assume your pattern has directions for row 4… it might be the same as row 2, as in ‘row 2 and all wrong side rows, purl’?

holler if you need more! :slight_smile:

Thanks so much! Good to know it starts from the bottom and goes up, and thanks for thr transcription. Definitely helps me understand how to read this chart better. The pattern doesn’t say anything from there, so I assume it’s just repeat until I get to the last 3 sts for the border. Now I can knit mah blanket! I really appreciate all your help. :slight_smile: I’ll be sure to drop back by if I have any other questions on this.