Silly dying question

Can you dye acrylic yarns? :??

From what I’ve read, no you can’t dye acrylic yarn with any success. If it does “take” the color, it won’t hold it. The only fibers that home dyeing is recommended for are naturals like wool and cotton.

Alrighty, thanks so much. :slight_smile:

It really requires a commercial process. :slight_smile:

What percentage of natural fiber does that have to be? just outa curiosity? 100% wool? 50% fiber 50% fill in the blank?

My understanding is that it has to be 100% natural fiber - whether it’s wook, cotton, angora, or whatever. It’s the synthetic that doesn’t do well with the dye process. I’m guessing that would mean that anything that has a synthetic component to it will not take dye well.

I would think that if it was, say, 50/50 natural to synthetic, the natural may take the dye, but the synthetic would not…and that could turn out looking pretty bad.

I’m not a scientist, this is just the impression I’ve gotten from the items I have read.

Also, if you are going to dye cotton yarn with the kool-aid method, DON’T!! :wink: I was going to prove “them” wrong by making it work and it just didn’t. I got some lovely muted tones but it was not colour fast by any means.

ahh, I see. I thought maybe that the acrylic in it wouldn’t take dye as well, didn’t know it wouldn’t dye at all. and thanks for the tip about cotton, I bet that was no fun at all, hehe.

[color=violet][/color]If one dyes a blend, the dye will either not dye one of the blends (acrylic in this case) and dye the natural fiber giving it a heathery look. It can be absolutely gorgeous when finished. I dyed a wool acrylic blend and loved the effect when the project was all knitted up!

[color=violet][/color]If one dyes a blend, the dye will either not dye one of the blends (acrylic in this case) and dye the natural fiber giving it a heathery look. It can be absolutely gorgeous when finished. I dyed a wool acrylic blend and loved the effect when the project was all knitted up![/quote]

Thanks for clarifying that…I stand corrected. :thumbsup:

I’d love to dye with kool aid but because i live in the UK we don’t get it over here. are there any cheap alternatives over here that anyone knows of or will i have to buy the expensive dylon stuff?

scrap that!!

i just wandered the web a bit and found that cyber candy, that fantatsic store in london and covent garden both stock koolaid for 65p. yay!!

You can also use food coloring and vinegar or citric acid. Juat mix the food coloring in hot water and add the acid or vinegar.