Should a square look like this?

I am knitting 9x9 squares for practice, and I found that the Michael’s store here is taking donations of these size squares for people in need.

They are knitted one row knit one row purl. After doing about 2 inches I noticed one side is almost smooth (short pile) the other side is heavier.

I don’t have anything to go by to see if this is the way this is supposed to look.

Am I doing it right?

You’re talking about stockinette stitch. Knit one row, purl one row produces a fabric that is rows and columns of V-looking stitches on one side and ridges of little bumps on the other side. That’s exactly what it’s supposed to look like. AND, be forewarned that a piece knitted in plain stockinette will curl on itself and will look nothing like a square when it’s done, but when it’s seamed to become part of a blanket it will be just fine.

Yes that is right. It’s called stockinette. One side has flat v’s and the other side has bumps.

This will curl though you may want to do a border in garter or seed stitch.
Here’s 2 sites with them:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php

Thanks soooooo much. :hug: :hug:

That’s what it looks like and it is curling up. I thought for sure I was doing it wrong. I was about to give up on it.

Guess I am doing something right for a change. :thumbsup:

Everyone on here has been very helpful.

Thank you.