Short Toed Socklets

Hi, I’m new. :waving:

I haven’t knit very much - I’ve only really done a couple of scarves. However, I got my hands on the Short Toed Socklets pattern http://www.coats.de/PDF/reg_zehenfusslingENG.pdf and had to make them (because they are so. danged. cute.). I have many questions about this pattern.

After countless tries, I’ve finally gotten to the part where the toes separate. It says to cast on 4 stitches. I didn’t know how to cast on in the middle of something - my cast on stitches didn’t seem to work (I tried the Continental cast on and the knitting cast on). Is there a different way to cast on in the middle of the work?

The pattern referenced 4 needles and my stitches were not evenly distributed around the needles (15 on two needles, 8 on one, 6 on another), and then wanted me to do some decreases (I think :rollseyes:). Does the pattern “know” how wonky my thread distribution is? Do I assume that when I do the decreases? I finally came to a screeching halt (at 11:30 p.m.).

Am I in totally over my head?

I found this thread http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/showthread.php?t=38910 and in it they said to not do the bar between the toes (I’m assuming these are the cast on stitches).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope that I explained my questions in detail enough.

Thanks!

For casting on in the middle I just use the backwards loop and it works fine.

I would do the backward loop cast on too. You can find a video of it [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]here. (Just scroll down to find it.) :hug:[/FONT][/COLOR]

i use the backward loop, too. it works great!

You can also use the cable cast on or knitting on cast on (depending on where you are casting on). Both can also be found in the “Basic Techniques: Cast-On” section of the web site.

IF you are doing the middle size, and IF you are at the point you cast on the 4 your sts on the needles should be:

1-15 sts
2-15sts
3-5 sts
holder-20 sts
4-5 sts

anyone else?? I’m not always right, so the gurus here might have better answers.

Distribute your stitches however you want, and if you need to k2tog stitches on different needles, just move one of them over. Generally it’s easier to have approximately equal numbers of stitches on each needle.
Backwards loop has its disadvantages but it would be fine, possibly the best, for this particular instance. My next choice would be knitted cast-on.

Great! Thanks all! I really appreciate all of the responses. I did the knitted cast-on (I think).

My next question is - it says, “Rep these dec on every 2nd round another 2(3/3) times” Does that mean I am doing another 3 rounds or 6 rounds (I’m doing the middle number). Do I do one round, then do a round with the decrease, then do another round, then do a round with the decrease, etc.?

Once again, any help for this newbie would be greatly appreciated.

My next question is - it says, “Rep these dec on every 2nd round another 2(3/3) times” Does that mean I am doing another 3 rounds or 6 rounds (I’m doing the middle number). Do I do one round, then do a round with the decrease, then do another round, then do a round with the decrease, etc.?

That means you knit 6 rounds (so you decrease on the 2nd, 4th, and 6th rounds).

By the way, those socklets are too cute!

HTH!
Happy :knitting:

That’s what I thought! Thanks!

Now I have a new question - To do the big toe, do I have to add the yarn again? Should I add the extra stitches before I add the yarn?

Okay. I did something wrong. I now have a big hole between the toes and big toe. I added the yarn by knitting on 4 stitches on a needle and then continuing on knitting around - and now I have a hole. Sigh I can post a picture if it would help you help me. Thanks.

I think the hole should disappear when you pick up the 4 sts along the bottom of the 4 you cast on to complete the big toe circle.

No, that didn’t work. I’m thinking that I added on the bar stitches in the wrong place, the wrong way, something.

These socklets are not working. :::sigh::: I might have to give up.

It doesn’t say exactly where to cast those on, does it? I had assumed that you cast them on at the end of that round/begining of next round, but it actually makes more sense if they were cast on in the spot where the sts are on the holder. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help.

Well, I certainly appreciate all of your help anyway! I kind of finished them - I realized that I was supposed “pick up” stitches - which I really didn’t know what that was. But after reading your message, I kind of realized it. I then “researched” picking up stitches. Of course, being SUCH newbie, I still screwed it up and knit the wrong way - so on the toe the inside is on the outside. But it fits! And it is kind of cute. I’m going to try again.

Conratulations!! Glad you got it finished. The next one should be a breeze!

I’m in covetous mode. Must make these.

Well, Zip, I hope you have better luck than I did! I’d love to see your finished product.