Short shaping: abbreviations: help!

I am working on a Filati pattern., and am at the top of the sweater. the instructions read:

" dec for short shaping on every alt row and each end 2 sts once, 1 st once, 2 sts once and 1 st twice, working visible inc."

“[B]visible inc[/B]: [U]right edge[/U]: edge st, K1, [COLOR=“Red”]K tog 3 resp. 2.[/COLOR] [U]Left edge[/U]: [COLOR=“red”]1 double resp.[/COLOR] 1 simple slip dec (= slip 1 knitwise, [COLOR=“red”]K2 tog resp.[/COLOR] K1, psso), K1, edge st.”

i am at a loss! what does this mean???:??

I assume you mean visible dec., right?

I have no clue what the resp. means, but I think they give you the directions on how to do the dec after that in the parenthesis. I suspect that the resp. is something from the non-translated version?

[INDENT]“visible dec: right edge: edge st, K1, K tog 3 resp. 2. Left edge: 1 double resp. 1 simple slip dec (= slip 1 knitwise, K2 tog resp. K1, psso), K1, edge st”[/INDENT]

Actually, the “resp.” [I]is[/I] the english translation - the original is bzw (short for beziehungsweise) and I think in this context means “or”.

So, depending on whether you are supposed to be decreasing 1 st or 2st, you choose the decrease:

If you are to decrease 1 st, on the right edge you do the edge st, K1, K2tog. On the left edge you would slip 1 kwise, K1, psso, K1, edge st.

For decreasing 2 st, on the right edge you would edge st, K1, K3tog. On the left edge, slip 1 kwise, K2tog, psso, K1, edge st.

you are right, i meant visible decrease, not increase. i think it might be a translation issue as well.

Thank you so much! That makes sense in this context. But - I am surprised that alternatives are given for the same size. Do you think this is meant to be an adjustment for differences in chest size, or the width of a person’s back?

deirdre

[INDENT]Do you think this is meant to be an adjustment for differences in chest size, or the width of a person’s back?[/INDENT]

I took it to mean when you are following the “dec for short shaping on every alt row and each end 2 sts once, 1 st once, 2 sts once and 1 st twice, working visible dec” that you should use whichever decrease for the row you are on.

Say you’re starting your decreases on row 1 and you’re supposed to be decreasing 2 st (as instructed above), you would use the 2 st decrease method.

So your knitting would be this:

Row 1 - decrease with 2 st decrease method
Row 2 - knit even
Row 3 - decrease with 1 st decrease method
Row 4 - knit even
Row 5 - decrease with 2 st decrease method
Row 6 - knit even
Row 7 - decrease with 1 st decrease method
Row 8 - knit even
Row 9 - decrease with 1 st decrease method
Row 10 - knit even

Your sizing should be adjusted within the pattern by the number of cast on st and how many rows you would increase or decrease as you go along, so a pattern for a medium size might have you increase on alt rows 2x and a large would have you increase on alt row 3x. The different sizes (if any) should be indicated at the beginning of the pattern and then within the pattern they would be in brackets/parenthesis. So it might say pattern is for M (L, XL) and then instructions would be to cast on 52 (64, 76) st.