short rows help!

Hi!
I’m working on RAGLAN INCREASES AND NECK SHAPING

Ive done this first set:

“Shortrow1(RS):K1,M1L,Kto1st before mrkA, M1R, K1, slmA, K1, M1L, K to 1 st before mrkB, M1R, K1, slmB, K1, M1L, K2, w&t. 5 sts inc’d.
Short row 2 (WS): Purl back to beg of rnd,slmBOR,P1,M1RP,Pto1stbefore mrkC,M1LP,P1,slmC,P1,M1RP,P2, w&t. 3 sts inc’d.
Short row 3 (RS): Knit back to beg of rnd. 8 sts inc’d worked in Short rows 1-3.”

PLEASE HELP UNDERSTAND IN PLAIN LANGUAGE WHAT THE BELOW PART MEANS:

Rep Short rows 1-3, three times more turning 2 sts past the last w&t every turn, remember to pick up and work the last wrap st as you pass.

Thank you in advance!

Welcome Kinovalada. Shortrows can be very confusing as they can be written in different terms depending on the pattern but their effect is worth the effort. This is my interpretation of your pattern instructions. (turning 2 sts past the last w&t every turn) My short answer is - K or P the w&t stitch K2 or P2, work a w&t.
My long answer is Shortrow1(RS): Repeat 1 K4, w&t. Repeat 2 K6, w&t. Repeat 3 K8, w&t.
Short row 2 (WS): Repeat 1 P4, w&t. Repeat 2 P6, w&t. Repeat 3 P8, w&t.
Short row 3 (RS): Stays the same Knit back to beg of rnd.
Something I do that might help you, I place a marker after the w&t. so that on the return row when I get to my marker I know the next stitch is the w&t. (pickup the wrap to knit or purl with the stitch), remove marker work 2sts w&t. replace marker. Depending on the pattern I often leave the markers in place to keep track of how many w&t’s I have worked.
On Short row 3 slip the marker so that it is in place for the next repeat.
Happy knitting

2 Likes

thank you for your answer!
though, as for a total beginner, who strictly follows the pattern, some questions are still here)
So, “Shortrow1(RS): Repeat 1 K4, w&t. Repeat 2 K6, w&t. Repeat 3 K8, w&t.”

• does it mean that first I follow the original instruction, which you call Repeat 1/2/3 (K1,M1L,Kto1st before mrkA, M1R, K1, slmA, K1, M1L, K to 1 st before mrkB, M1R, K1, slmB, K1, M1L, K2, w&t). Then according to you follows K4, w&t/ K6, w&t/K8, w&t. - Do I add those 4/6/8 K stitches before each w&t on the RS? and why, what for?
    For me that all is total puzzle and challenge)))
    Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry I did not mean to add to your confusion.
You need to follow the pattern instructions for Short row 1, 2 and 3 then repeat those 3 Short rows 3 times making a total of 12 short rows.
You will be creating a wedge shape image to add shaping to your project.

1 Like

No worries, im so green in knitting that it’s easy to get confused))
I understand what should be the final result, thank you for demonstrating. But what about those turning 2 sts?

Not a problem now I know you are learning I will give you My extra long answer:
Shortrow1(RS): K2, w&t.
Short row 2 (WS): P2, w&t.
Short row 3 (RS): Knit back to beg of rnd.
Repeat 1 Shortrow1(RS): K4, w&t.
Repeat 1 Shortrow2(WS): P4, w&t.
Repeat 1 Short row 3 (RS): Knit back to beg of rnd.
Repeat 2 Shortrow1(RS): K6, w&t.
Repeat 2 Shortrow2(WS): P6, w&t.
Repeat 2 Short row 3 (RS): Knit back to beg of rnd.
Repeat 3 Shortrow1(RS): K8, w&t.
Repeat 3 Shortrow2(WS): P8, w&t.
Repeat 3 Short row 3 (RS): Knit back to beg of rnd.

Now I have a question
Does your pattern only have 3 short rows or do you have a Short Row 4 (WS) work back to beg of rnd?

it has only 3 short rows, which are to be repeated 3 times then. I’ve copied the original instruction in my first question.

Thus, according to your explanation, I should add 4/6/8 before the w&t each time? I just can’t understand why do I do that? and when should I pick up and work the wrap?
Thank you

To create the wedge shape you have to adjust the number of stitches you work BEFORE you do the w&t. so you are starting at the narrow end of the wedge and working towards the wide end of the wedge.
Shortrow1(RS): K2, w&t.
Short row 2 (WS): P2, w&t.
Short row 3 (RS): Knit back to beg of rnd.

Because your pattern states turning 2 sts past the last w&t every turn I would work the Short rows like this.
Repeat 1 Shortrow1(RS): work to the last w&t, pick up and work the wrap & turn st, K2, w&t.
Repeat 1 Shortrow2(WS): Purl back to beg of rnd, follow pattern instructions to last w&t, pick up and work the wrap & turn st, P2, w&t.
Repeat 1 Short row 3 (RS): Knit back to beg of rnd.

Repeat 2 Shortrow1(RS): work to the last w&t, pick up and work the wrap & turn st, K2, w&t.
Repeat 2 Shortrow2(WS): Purl back to beg of rnd, follow pattern instructions to last w&t, pick up and work the wrap & turn st, P2, w&t.
Repeat 2 Short row 3 (RS): Knit back to beg of rnd.

Repeat 3 Shortrow1(RS): work to the last w&t, pick up and work the wrap & turn st, K2, w&t.
Repeat 3 Shortrow2(WS): Purl back to beg of rnd, follow pattern instructions to last w&t, pick up and work the wrap & turn st, P2, w&t.
Repeat 3 Short row 3 (RS): Knit back to beg of rnd.
Do not despair we can do this.

oh, wow. I will try that, thank you so much!

This is interesting flknit5. Why do you recommend
Repeat 1 Shortrow1(RS): work to the last w&t, pick up and work the wrap & turn st, K4, w&t

I would think it would be pick up and work the wrap & turn st, K2, w&t.

So that for each repeat you work 2 more sts past the last wrap & turn rather than k4 or k6?

1 Like

Because her pattern states - Rep Short rows 1-3, three times more turning 2 sts past the last w&t every turn, remember to pick up and work the last wrap st as you pass.
I have come across similar terminology with short row instructions in the past. When starting a wedge shape at the narrow end of the wedge and working towards the wide end of the wedge. Although it is open to interpretation.

Yes, this terminology is often used in patterns. That’s why I’d go for “pick up the wrap, work 2 sts past the last w&t.”

salmonmac makes a valid point so I have edited my last reply

2 Likes

Hi! Thank you for helping, I’ve done this way and worked perfectly!

1 Like

Thank you so much for all your super generous and detailed instructions! Raglan is done:) It was a very interesting experience. Largest problem was to basically understand why we do so and how it works. Technically it’s easy though.
Anyway, thanks a lot!

3 Likes