Shawl Help Needed

Hi,
I’ve downloaded a pattern and I just can’t read the instructions. Do I start the pattern casting on 3 stitches and end up with 210? When she writes to [B][I]pick up and knit 6 sts on the edge[/I][/B], am I increasing? Then going to the other side and increasing by three? It’s not clear to me where I will increase the stitches.

[I]Cast on 3 sts. Knit 13 rows. Pick up and knit 6 sts on the edge, then pick up and knit 3 stitches on the other edge. (12sts)

R0:k3,M,yo,k6,yo,M,k3
R1:k3,M,yo,k until the M,yo,M,k3
R2 :k3,M,yo,k until the M,yo,M,k3

18 sts

Repeat R1/R2 again 48 times. 210 sts .[/I]

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Nash

Welcome!
You’re going to knit a tab to begin this shawl. Here’s a video that may help

The sts are made by picking up on two more edges rather than using increases like knit front & back or M1 for this part of the pattern.

That was a great video! Thank you so much. I think I now understand how the pattern will get bigger.

I do still have a question as to what R0, R1 and R2 stand for? Most of the videos talked about pulling the yarn over on the right side of the shawl. Are these directions only to be done on the right side and I only knit on the wrong side?

R0, R1, R2 are rows 0, 1 and 2. Knit rows 0, 1 and 2 and then repeat rows 1 and 2 for the pattern. You’ll be working pattern rows on the right side and wrong side.

Thanks again! Well into it now thanks to you!