Shaping Top of Mitten Help

I am knitting mittens and I have come to the part where I need to shape the top of my mitten, but I am struggling with the numbers shown in the pattern, and I’m afraid that I’ve made a mistake!

The pattern of the body is this repeated pattern several times (with every 3rd row being a cable knit pattern):

K3, P2, K2, P2, K6, P2, K2, P2, K19 (40 stitches)

The first round of the shaping of the top is:

Round 1: K1, Sl1, K1, PSSO, K14, K2tog, K2, Sl1, K1, PSSO, K14, K2tog, K1 (end up with 36 stitches).

I got to the bolded part (K14) and I was only able to K13 because I ran out of stitches. In order to complete the round as instructed, I’ll have to knit the stitches in the beginning of the round again.

Did I do something wrong? Or do I need to work the stitches in the beginning of the round again?****

By my count it should work out as written. Do you have 40 sts before you begin this round? Are you sure you’re doing the decreases correctly? All I can suggest is looking carefully at your work and seeing if you can tell where you made a mistake. I often undo and rework, get it right, but don’t see where I was off.

The pattern is correct. How are you working the slip1, k1, pass slipped stitch over?

Ooh I see what I did wrong now! That video was very helpful, thank you! Now I just have to figure out how to reverse everything I just did. Whoops.