Shaping back of hood with short rows

Hi

I’m trying to knit only the hood part of the merci hoodie pattern so I’ve cast on 16 then pm then cast on 18 then pm and then cast on another 16 for total of 50 stitches.

I’ve done the set up row and am now on the shape hood section.

I did the increase row which is supposed to increase four stitches per row so now have 18 then the marker then 18 then the marker then 18 again.

It then says to work 5 rows even which I’ve done. It then says to repeat the increase row every 6 rows 4 times for 70 stitches.

All of the above makes sense to me but the next section for shaping the back of the hood with short rows has me confused because for row 1 it says:

RS work 34 sts, then slip marker, k1, wrap next stitch and turn so ws facing, work p1, slip marker, work to next marker, slip marker, p1, wrap next st and turn piece with rs facing.

How could you work 34 sts then slip the marker when there is not a marker there? I’m assuming that after the increases you would only have 26 stitches then the marker, then 18 center stitches, then a marker, and then another 26 stitches?

The only thing I can think of is should I repeat the increase row every 6 rows 8 times so that I get 34 stitches then the marker then 18 center stitches, then the marker, then 34 stitches?

Any help could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
There’s either a mistake in the “work 34sts” or in the short row directions, probably the “34sts”. It probably should be 44sts. So the short row would be:
RS work [I]44 sts[/I], then slip [I]2nd[/I] marker, k1, wrap next stitch and turn so ws facing, work p1, slip marker, work to next marker [I](the first marker), [/I]slip marker, p1, wrap next st and turn piece with rs facing.
That puts the short row shaping across the center panel and then the directions for short rows make sense.