Shaping an instep

Hi all,
I’m a new registered member, although I’ve been referencing the website as a visitor for a year. You all do an awesome job - it’s soo helpful! I have a quick question regarding a pattern for the Suede Baby Booties from the DIY website. Hope this link works…
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/na_knitting/article/0,2025,DIY_14141_3148516,00.html

Regarding the instep,
Row 2 says to: sl 1, p7, p2tog, turn.
Row 3 says: sl 1, k7, SKP, turn.
So my question is am I decreasing and in row 2 slip the stitch purlwise and in row 3 slip knitwise, etc…? Or am I just to slip all the sl 1’s purlwise since there is no specification in the pattern?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I’m sure I’m making a mountain out of a molehill. Thanks.

Yes, you’re decreasing – the p2tog/skp bits are each decreasing it by one stitch – and I’d say slip purlwise (I generally do that unless the pattern says to slip knitwise). …well, the sl1 would be purlwise; I think SKP you do knitwise. (So that row would be slip 1 purlwise, k7, slip 1 knitwise, knit, pass slipped over, turn.)

Thank you isabeau for your quick reply. I was second guessing myself because in the site glossary “sl” said that if you were dec than you’d slip it knitwise on the knits and purlwise on the purls. I tried this at first and it didn’t look right.

I think that’s if the sl is actually part of a decrease. (So SSK, or SKP, or various things, where the slip is actively involved in decreasing, you want to slip knitwise; but standalone slipped stitches, even if they’re on a row that has a decrease in it, are generally purlwise.)

Thanks for all your help isabeau…I finished my first baby boot and it looks great!