Shaping a Neck...I'm Tearing My Hair Out

I’m a novice and am so confused about shaping the neck. Here is the directions, which I have read a million times and I’m not getting it. Can someone please help? Thank you in advance.

Shape shoulders and back neck
Work in pat as established across 18 (21, 22, 24, 26) sts, join 2nd ball of yarn, bind off center 16 (16, 18, 20, 20) sts for back neck, work across rem 18 (21, 22, 24, 26) sts. Working both sides at once, bind off 2 sts at neck edge twice and, AT SAME TIME, bind off 5 (6, 6, 7, 7) sts at shoulder edge twice, then 4 (5, 6, 6, 8) sts once.

@salmonmac I tagged one of the moderators who can probably help. Can you please tell us the pattern name and provide a link please? There are too many patterns to know what they all mean.

http://www.lionbrand.com/lby_freedownload/download/link/product_id/148321/

Thanks, Jan. Yes, a pattern link is always helpful and it’s fun to see what you’re knitting.

I write out these directions row by row or else make a small drawing with numbers and then check them off as I knit. For the smallest size, knit across 18sts with yarn strand 1, attach the 2nd ball of yarn and bind off 16sts then finish the row with strand 2 of yarn.

Turn and purl across with strand 2, drop it, pick up strand 1 and bind off 2sts then purl to the end of row. Turn to the knit side, bind off 5sts, knit to the neck opening, drop strand 1 pick up strand 2 and bind off 2sts, then knit to the end of row. Turn and bind off 5sts, purl to the neck edge.
At this point you’ve bound off 2sts at each neck edge and 5sts at each shoulder. Repeat the above one time more. You’re back on the purl side, ready to pick up strand one and purl across to the end of row (yay, no neck bind off on this row).
Turn to the knit side, bind off 4sts, knit across with strand one and then strand 2 to the end of row, turn and bind off 4sts. That’s it.

Nice pattern! Enjoy finishing up.

1 Like

Thank you so much! You are an angel!