Shaped Lace Tee

I’m making the Shaped Lace Tee by Joan McGowan-Michael and I’m having some serious problems with the first lace pattern!

Every time I get done with one of the lace rows I’ve ended up with an extra stitch. I’ve gone back through and made sure I followed the pattern properly and I have. I’ve ripped out and started over and still have the same problem.

CO 85 stitches
(the lace is Vine Lace from A treasury of Knitting Patterns by Barbara G. Walker)
Rows 1 and 3 (ws): purl

Row 2: K3, *yo, k2, ssk, k2tog, k2, yo, k1; repeat from *, end k1.

Row 4: k2, *yo, k2, ssk, k2tog, k2, yo, k1; repeat from *, end k2

So if I’m reading this right I’m decreasing the same amount I’m increasing/yoing and so should be ending with 85 stitches. I shouldn’t be getting an extra stitch each row at all, or one less either.
Right?

I’ve never knit this so I don’t know much about it. You might check the pattern/book website for errata. Sometimes there is a mistake they’ve corrected.

Yeah I’ve checked on that already and didn’t find anything. I know someone else on here has made and finished this pattern because I came across it while googling last night. Hopefully others can help.

after doing the math it comes out to 9 repeats+4 of the pattern so I must be doing something wrong. I guess I shall employ trusty stitch markers and try again.

Hi Kaylee Chenille :waving:

Yes, it looks like it calls for 9 repeats of 9 stitches each plus 4 stitches per row. It should give you 85.
When I first started knitting lace patterns, I had the same problem, and really, with 9 repeats with several YO and decreases it’s VERY easy to miss something.

My tip: Stitch markers, stitch markers, stitch markers!
I would put them between every repeat or so. Maybe move them earlier by one stitch, so that you’re not right next to a YO in the beginning.

Hope this will help you figure it out. It’s so much easier to see if/where you’re off this way. Stick with it, it’ll become much clearer when you’re a little into the pattern.

Also, I found out the hard way, that knitting something like this when you’re tired is a BAD idea… :doh:

Sorry, just looked at your pattern again and having stitch markers one stitch earlier wouldn’t be very smart either - there’s another YO at the end then.

So, I would put them after the 5th stitch from the beginning on row 2, between the two k2 stitches.
This way they will be btwn the k2 and the ssk in row 4.
Then place a marker after every 9 stitches.

This is equivalent to placing a marker after the first 8 stitches on an odd (purl) row, then every 9 stitches after that.

Good luck!