shape left shoulder

hi my name should be confused. the pattern states with RS facing sl next 32 sts onto st holder jon yarn, ssk, knit to end of row NEXT ROW bind off 8 sts, purl to last 2 sts, p2tog-tbl. NEXT ROW purl across. bind off rem 8 sts. how do you purl on one row then purl on the next row. are there some rows missing? when get to knit the last row instead of purl i end up with more than 8 stitches to bind off I am new to knitting, but I under stand a little of the directions, this is my first sweater

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
What pattern are you making? Can you give us a link or a pattern name?

Hi. I’m guessing that your pattern is in stocking stitch (knit right side and purl wrongside) and that the instructions are for the back (shaping left shoulder)? If so, I suspect there is a line missing. According to instructions, it sounds like there should be 18 stitches left on the L needle after you have slipped 32 onto a holder? You rejoin yarn, ssk and k to end. = 17 stitches. You now just work on these 17 stitches. Cast off 8 at beginning of row, and purl to last 2, which you P tog through the back loops. This should leave you with 8 stitches left. Work these (knit on right side) , turn and bind off. I would then expect you to have to do similar on the remaining 32 stitches, which suggests you would put 32-18=14 stitches either on a holder or cast off as the back of the neck. Does this fit with your pattern? Good luck and keep knitting!