Sewing up a project

Hi guys,

I’ve been working on this project for a while, I left it at the back of the cupboard because I cannot work out how to finish it off… I’ve recently come back to it and I’m still stumped!!

The project is a man’s jumper and the pattern I’m working from is :- https://www.allfreeknitting.com/Mens-Knit-Sweaters/mens-weekend-sweater#ps6sGtl20kbeL83z.99

I’ve managed to get so far as “to make up: sew side and sleeve seems. Sew in sleeves leaving left back armhole seam open” - below is the bit I can’t work out how to do:

Neckband: Working in K1, P1 rib, with right side of work facing and 5 mm needles work 5 (5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6) sts from left sleeve. Pick up and work 10 (10, 10, 11, 11, 11, 11, 13, 13, 13) sts down left side
of neck. Work sts from front st holder. Pick up and work 10 (10, 10, 11, 11, 11, 11, 13, 13, 13) sts up right side of neck. Work 5 (5, 5, 5, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6) sts from right sleeve. Work 19 (21, 21, 23, 23, 25,
27, 27, 27, 29) sts from stitch holder, increasing 2 sts evenly across back 60 (64, 64, 69, 69, 75, 79, 83, 83, 87) sts on needle. Work in (K1, P1) ribbing for 4 (4, 4, 4, 4, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6) rows. Cast off

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as I wanted to get it finished as a birthday present :slight_smile:

You’re almost there! It’s a great looking sweater.
You’re going to be picking up sts for the neckband. I’d pick up without worrying about the k1p1 rib. Just pick up the sts as in the video. I know there aren’t shoulder sts in the video but the idea is pretty much the same. You can pick up the number of sts given in your pattern but if you have a stitch or two more or less, don’t worry about it. You can always adjust of the next row. That’s the row on which to start the k1p1 rib.

Remember that the left sleeve is the left as you would wear the sweater.

Thank you so much for this! It’s been a great help!

I have been working on the same sweater. Thanks for the info. I was just about to do what was suggested because of being stumped on how the do the K1P1 picking up and couldn’t find any help on any videos online.

If it’s of any help what I like to do after I’ve picked up the stitches for the neck and before I start the ribbing is I do one knit row just to neaten up the stitches

1 Like