Sewing together finished jacket

Apart from the facts that (1) the photo of the completed jacket showed it as having knitted-in pockets and it doesn’t - can you BELIEVE anyone would knit little pockets and sew them on?! - and (2) the pattern for the second of the two fronts was so complicated that I ended up rissoling it completely and simply reversing the pattern for the first front, I find myself at a bit of a loss with regard to putting all the pieces together. It’s been a looooong time since I last did this, and it’s all gone out of my head.
If anyone is passionate about the best way to sew up, I’d be really grateful to be told about it…

M.R.

I’m not sure if there are particular problems you’ll have with this jacket but I try to use 3 needle bind off for the shoulders, if possible and mattress stitch to seam up the sides and sleeves. Pin everything in place first to make sure it will all go together the way you want and then go to it.

The 3-needle number is out of the question, inasmuch as I’ve long since cast off on all the various bits.
However, the video of the mattress stitch is most helpful: I never knew how to do that!
THANK-YOU VERY MUCH INDEED.
:slight_smile:

Nup.
Had to admit total defeat. I only got as far as getting out the ironing-board and a damp teatowel and starting to flatten the pieces… and as there was absolutely zero flattening, I realised it’s all beyond me.
Too long ago, the last garment made was…
Happily for me, there’s a knitting shop in the CBD that outsources putting knitted garments together. So it won’t be wasted - and as an age pensioner, I could ill afford to have paid all that money for the wool without anything to show for it.
I do have another question: why do we do this ironing with a damp teatowel when it doesn’t flatten the rolled edges at all?
Have I overlooked something really basic?

Actually, I never use an iron. You can block by pinning out the pieces to the correct dimensions, spritzing them with a spray bottle of water and letting dry completely. Or wash, roll in a towel to gently press out the water, pin out to size, and let dry. This may get rid of curling edges but if your knitted jacket is stockinette (knit on one side, purl on the other) there is just a tendency to curl that blocking won’t cure. If the curl is on an edge that will be seamed, the seaming itself will stop the curl.
You can certainly use a knit shop to put the pieces together, but why not give it one more try?

I think because this whole project has filled me with gloom. To begin with, as I say, I found the photo of the completed garment to have been air-brushed; which disappointment was closely followed by the insanity of the actual pattern. Having managed to get myself through that without having to chuck the whole thing, I then found the instructions re assembling to be very much less than helpful. As well, this damned jacket includes another problem I asked about much earlier in this forum - the matter of the edging on the two fronts curving fairly savagely upward because there’s garter stitch along the bottoms and also the inner edges.
Basically, it’s been just one thing after another with this jacket. I’ll never make another purchase of this wool and/or its patterns. Happily for me, I was very recently referred to Oz’s wonderful Bendigo Woollen Mills, with real wool at an AMAZING price and simple, delightful patterns to make with it.
Deo gratias!
I thank you very much indeed for your support, salmonmac; but this is a project too far.

M.R.

I hesitate to suggest this, and feel that I can suggest it only because I’ve done it myself.

But…could you just unravel the whole wonderful jacket and make something different from the yarn/wool?

DCM

I’ve had those projects too and not just in knitting. Give this honey to someone else to put together and who knows? It may become one of your favorites to wear despite its difficult beginning. Enjoy!

I have done that before - unravelled an entire garment and made something else from it. But it was in the days when my husband was alive and life was wonderful. Too much to contemplate as a person on her own, without much motivation.
No matter - have found people willing to help, here, and that’s a big plus!