Sewing in sleeves

:knitting: WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SEW THE SLEEVES IN, THE SHOULDER SEEMS ARE SEWN IN, BUT NOW I HAVE TO SEW IN THE SLEEVES – SHOULD YOU PIN THEM IN FIRST ? OR JUST LINE UP CENTER OF SLEEVE TO SHOULDER SEAM, AND START TO SEW WHERE??

I’d block the pieces first. It makes seaming easier. Then you can mark the halfway point on your sleeve pieces where you are going to sew in the sleeves. Use that as a guide. I like to start at that part and sew down each side of the sleeve.

I would use pins to pin the sleeves in or you can baste them into place. It definitely helps to keep the sleeve from getting bunched up or stretched out as you seam it. And don’t be discouraged if it doesn’t look right the first time. I often have to redo my sleeves a few times to get them to look how I want them to.

Thank you for your answer to my question, I wanted to use the instructions for seaming on this kh web site, --(right sides facing) under Finishing,-- but didn’t know which seam method to use. so here goes thanks again Pat Trewern

You’re welcome Pat. Knitty also has a couple of great articles on seaming:

General seaming

Seaming sleeves into a garment

This free on-line knitting book is good too. LINK You will need to look at chapter 22. There are other chapters about seaming as well.