Sew Together?

Hi all -

I’m new to the forum, so thank you all in advance for your help.

I’ve been working on a blanket for my niece for about three years (things have been busy!), and I’m ready to sew the panels together. I’ve looked at tip after tip, but I’m worried that after years of work that just picking a method and crossing my fingers is too risky.

Here’s a link of what it’s supposed to look like. http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/projects/baby.html

I do understand the concept of sewing together generally and starting in and out of the same stitches to make the stitches blend. My problem is that the edges, according to the pattern, seem to be in more or less a stockinette stitch, so it seems like sewing right sides together as most sew-together instructions recommend would kill this particular pattern, at least according to the image referenced above. It seems that instead of the pretty upward peak in that pattern, sewing together by placing right sides together wouldn’t create those nice peaks.

Any advice? I’m so close to being finished!

Thank you!
Sarah

Look at the video on the Tips page for mattress stitch. You place the pieces side by side and sew them with the RS facing you, but the seam ends up on the WS. The peaks come from the st pattern and should remain after sewing together. Just try it and see how it works out.

Thank you so so much. I’ll let you know how it goes!
-Sarah