Selvidge stitch

Hello everyone: I have a pattern for a scarf that calls for the first and last stitch to be a selvidge stitch. Other than that puzzling instruction, the rest of the scarf seems easy enough for a beginner. Can anyone tell me what this means? Thank you, Carolyn:)

Well, the selvedges on a piece of fabric are the side edges, so naturally the first and last stitches on each row will be on the selvedge edge… I don’t know of any specific stitches called selvedge (but I am not an expert by any means).

Can you copy that particular part of the instructions?

this is the pattern that calls for the selvedge stitch.

PATTERN NOTES
Stitches 1 and 26 are selvedge stitches; the pattern is worked over 24 stitches.

Wave Pattern:
Row 1: Knit all stitches
Row 2: Purl all stitches
Row 3: (K2tog) twice, (yo, k1) 4 times, (k2tog) twice. Repeat from * to * once.
Row 4: Knit all stitches
These four rows form the pattern.

They work as border stitches. Like patterns I use say "work with 20 stitches plus 2 for selvedge. I would use 1 stitch at the begin. & end of row.

So basically the pattern is worked over the 24 stitches in between the first and last stitch. Does it tell you what to do with the first and last? If not I would probably just knit them so it would be a garter stitch border.

thank you, I think thats what I’ll do,

For a nice edge, you might want to consider slipping the first stitch in every row without working it.