Selvage stitch advice

Ok, I did my first item with sleeves a little while ago, and I left a selvage stitch (st st) on the edges of the armholes and sleeves instead of doing decreases on the edges because I thought it would be easier to seam. So the seaming went fine, but some of the stitches seem very loose on the left-leaning decrease parts (I think).

Is this due to the selvage stitch? Or did I seam it funny? Do you guys use selvage stitches on sleeves? I would think it could be that I just didn’t do the seaming evenly, but both sleeves are fine on one side and hole-y on the other. I’d like to figure out why this happened before I do my next sleeved item.

In case I didn’t explain it well, here are pictures of what I’m talking about:

Is it possible you only picked up half the stitch?

Hmm, I guess that could be possible. It seemed odd to me that it happened in the same location on both sleeves though. Maybe I just wasn’t being careful enough. I’m usually not. :rollseyes:

It may be that the decrease that you used on that side was deceiving when it came to picking up the stitches to sew.

I looked at it again and I seem to have gotten the whole stitch–maybe I just didn’t seam tight enough in those areas. Weird…thanks for your help, though.

Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks Maggie, I think I’m leaving these ones as is but I’ll let you know on my next sweater. Oh, and while I’m getting advice, how are sleeves usually seamed? I used a crochet slip stitch. Would mattress stitch work better? Any other options?

Thanks. :smiley:

Mattress, mattress, mattress. I used to hate finishing sweaters because I only knew to backstitch and the seams always turned out lumpy. Once I learned how to weave them, it was a whole different ballgame.

Thanks, Ingrid. Maybe that will help too!

what is a selvage stitch? How do you make one?

Well, I’m pretty sure I’m using the term right. Basically instead of making decreases and increases at the beginning or end of a row, you use a selvage stitch to make things neater and easier to seam. All that is is a normal stitch in stockinette. So if you have a pattern that says to decrease 1 st at the end of the row, you’d knit to 3 st before the end, k2tog, then k1, instead of knitting the last 2 st together.

Anyone, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. :smiley:

Mer is right. Yet you can also do selvedge stitches when you don’t increase or decrease, too. It’s just a stitch at each end that’s not worked into the pattern to make it easier to seam together or to get a smoother edge.