Selvage question

I am starting a pattern I purchased from KP and the beginning reads like this:

Pattern Notes:
• Th ese gloves are knit fl at in a ribbed pattern and seamed up the side. An extra stitch
(called a selvage stitch) is added to each side of the piece. If seamed properly using the
Mattress Stitch, these selvage stitches will be invisible after the gloves are completed.
• To ensure that the bottom and top edges are not too tight, it is important to cast on
and cast off loosely. One way to accomplish this is by using a needle one or two sizes
larger to work the cast on and cast off rows.

Directions (make two):

Cuff :
Loosely CO 47 sts (please see the pattern notes, above).
Cuff Row 1 (RS): k1, p1, *k3, p2; rep from *to end of row, ending with p1, k1
Cuff Row 2 (WS): p1, k1, *p3, k2; rep from * to end of row, ending with k1, p1

Okay, I know what a selvage is but what I don’t understand is if I am to knit or slip the selvage stitch? I have CO twice and attempted to knit the first row–both times I’ve ended up with too many or not enough stitches to stay in pattern. I have followed the pattern as written and I’ve slipped the first stitch…the problem is–the pattern never equals 47 stitches. Do I cast on additional stitches to make the selvage stitch at each end? I’m so confused–even if I CO two additional stitches (to use as the selvage stitch on each end), I still don’t come up with the correct number of stitches. The repeat is a 5 stitch pattern and the pattern calls for 4 additional stitches (K1, P1 at the beginning and P1, K1 at the end). This can never equal 47. If I add two stitches I’ll technically have 49–again, this pattern can’t be spread evenly across 49 stitches…What am I missing here? I feel so dumb!

just went to KP’s site and thought to look in the pattern errata…the very first one is this:

Cuff Row 1 (RS): k1, p1, *k3, p2; rep from * to end of row; ending with [B]k3[/B], p1, k1.
Cuff Row 2 (WS): p1, k1, *p3, k2; rep from * to end of row; ending with [B]p3[/B], k1, p1.

Glad to know I wasn’t loosing my mind. I’m not exactly an experienced knitter and math isn’t my strong point but my head was hurting I’d been reworking these numbers for so long! LOL!