Self striping yarn

Hey All,
Here’s an easy one for all you skillful knitters out there.
I am using Noro Silk Garden and following one of their scarf patterns. My question is what is the best way to join the new yarn. I know how to join the yarn, but what I meant was how would you normally join a self striping yarn.
Should I follow the colorway that I ended with and just use the start of the new yarn? Or should I follow the colorway and join in with the new color and take off a few yards from the start?
I hope that I haven’t confused you all! I think I just confused myself. hahaha
Okay, I ended with a the color grey, the next colorway would be blue. But when I started the new skein, it is also grey. So, if I were to use grey in the new join, I’ll have a very long section of grey (double) then it will progress to the blue.
Sooooooooooooo… should I take off the grey from the beginning of the new skein (cut it off) and then join the new colorway?
Thanks!!!

Others with more experience may help better. The way did my purses was to pull out the section of colour and join with the colour that is next.

I think that is how I am going to do it. It’s sort of a waste, but at least it will have some sort of continuity within the pattern! Thanks!