Hi, all. I love this site, although I don’t visit it frequently enough. I’ve referred other people to it for the great videos (thanks for publishing them).
I hope you can help with the following quest:
For several years now, I have searched in every book, pattern catalog, and website I can get my hands on for a simple u-shaped shawl pattern. I’m picky about what I want, but still I’m surprised none of my searches over the years have revealed a pattern that meets the requirements. I keep thinking others would enjoy a shawl in this style, too. Perhaps I’m using the wrong combination of search terms, so forgive me if there’s something published here (or elsewhere) that I haven’t found.
Here’s what I’m looking for:
- a semetrical u-shaped shawl that will fit/drape nicely around the neck (straight lines of triangles and rectangles either leave gaps or get bunched up around the neck when pulled close)
- not too lacy; cold wind nips through all those little holes
- rounded at the bottom back, not pointy like a triangle
- tapered from greatest width in middle back to more slender ends, so the ends can be tied loosely without a lot of bulk OR can just be left to dangle down the front of the body
- no “sew on” parts (like the ties added to some stole patterns)
- no “seam up the middle back” look that so many triangle shawls have (for some inexplicable reason, that seam thing just really bugs me)
- icing on the cake would be if it also looks decent from both right and wrong sides.
If I had even a trace of pattern-making ability, I’d maybe be able to design something myself, but I fully lack that gene apparently. I’d be grateful for any help you can provide. Thanks, and best wishes.