Seed stitching an increase

I am new to knitting and I’m working on ear flaps for a hat that is seed stitched. It has increases and decreases. How do I knit these-in other words, do I purl the increase (they both look like knitted stitches to me)? The instructions say to seed stitch even. Thanks for any help!

First, I think if you have a link to the pattern it might help so we can see exactly where the increases and decreases are to occur. In any event, since seed stitch entails that you knit the purls and purl the knits, I’d say that you would make your increase in the stitch that enables you to keep the pattern going. Does that make sense? Does your pattern tell you how to do the increase? Such as “knitting front and back of the same stitch” or “lifting the bar between the 2 stitches”?

If it is seed stitch it is k1, p1 all across and then on the next row work the opposite stitch into each stitch. If you have trouble telling by looking right at the end stitch which it is, just look at it’s neighbors and assume it is in sequence. You can usually tell what the stitches are easier away from the edge.

I’ve had good luck with these increases by working into the end stitch front and back. If the first stitch is a knit you want to purl it, so first knit into the front of the stitch (making a new one in sequence next to the end stitch), then purl into the back loop of the stitch, the next stitch on your left needle will be a purl and you knit it and continue across. If the first stitch is a purl you need to knit it so purl into the front of the end stitch (making a new purl on the end) and then knit it through the back loop. Next stitch will be a purl, work on across.

If you need to increase on the last stitch of a row, if the stitch is a knit you need to purl it so purl into the front loop and knit into the back loop to create the next stitch in sequence. If the end stitch is a purl you need to knit it so knit into the front loop and purl into the back loop to make the next stitch in sequence.

When you work subsequent rows make sure you observe the pattern away from the edge and make the end stitches the right ones to fit the sequence needed. After you get a few rows past that the sequence will look good and be right.

If you need to decrease at the beginning of the row, I’d look at the 3rd stitch in. If it is a purl, knit the first 2 tog or you can use a SSK if you want it to slant the other way. If the third stitch in is a knit, purl the first 2 together (or you can use a P2tog tbl if you need to). If you are decreasing at the end of the row, just work the 2 together as whatever the next stitch should be. So if you are working along toward the end of the row k, p, k, p, 2 more remain, k2tog.