Seed stitch staggered

Please explain . seed stitch RS, k1,P1, ws P1,K1, ie staggered RS. Please explain staggered RS.

This is a guess, mind, because I’m not used to seeing it that way.
K1, P1 ribbing lines up on both sides–there are columns of knit and purl. Seed stitch is deliberately [I][B]not [/B][/I]in columns. To get it to happen with those directions, it looks as if you need to start with an even number of stitches.
Do what the pattern says and you’ll see.

Every stitch has two sides. One side is the “knit” side with the classic V, the other is the “purl” side with the typical purl bumps. In order to create seed stitch you knit the purls and purl the knits. (ribbing is knit the knits and purl the purls)

So… in this case you must have an even numbered cast on which will require you to stagger the beginning of each row. Depending on what you’re making you may be able to just cast on an odd number which would allow you to start each row with the same stitch, but still end up with seed stitch.

ETA: I just tested it with a swatch to make sure my thinking is correct. You could test it that way as well so you can wrap your head around it. It helps and I do it all the time. :wink: