Seed Stitch increase

I am working on a baby blanket the border is done in seed stitch and it then goes into panels of cables. Here’s my problem, the increases. You cast on 139 stitches and do 16 rows of seed stitch. Then row 17 reads like this:
(Increase row): K1, (P1,K1) 7 times, increase, *[K1, (p1, k1) 4 times, increase] twice, K1,(P1, K1) 11 times, increase: repeat from * once more, [k1, (p1, k1) 4 times, increase] twice, K1, (p1, k1) across: 148 stitches.
Increases are stated as yarn overs and depends on the stitch before and after on how you wrap the yarn around the right needle.
My problem is that when I do as the pattern states I lose the seed stitch pattern and on some parts of it instead of knitting a purl stitch or purling a knit, I’m knitting the knits and purling the purls. In the middle of the blanket this wouldn’t seem to matter since I will be creating the base for the cables on the next row, but this happens on the end, when the border should be a seed stitch border.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I’m not sure if the pattern has an error and if it does I have no idea how to fix it.
thank you for any help you can give me.
Kelly

Yeah, I don’t know. I’ve been giving this a lot of thought and have not figured it out yet. Is this pattern available somewhere so I can see what happens next? If you can’t give a link to the pattern, the next row that is the set up row for the cables would be helpful.

My first thoughts were that you had plenty of stitches for the border with the K1, (P1, K1) 7 times given at the beginning of the row. That would be 15 stitches of seed stitch before your first increase. But when I try to account for all the other stitches and come up with a 15 stitch border on the other side after the last increase, it doesn’t work out either way I tried it. The one way I had the 15, then the increase, then the * with 44 stitches that are to be repeated 2X, then another 20 stitches the last being an increase and then K1, (P1, K1) across. Only the way I add that up 15+1+44+44+20=124 stitches and that leaves 24 for the other border (beyond the last increase). So I thought maybe when they say repeat a given number of times in some of those cases i.e. the 7X that they meant to do the one in the ( ) and then 7 more for a total of 8. But if I figure it out that way I end up with 17+1 then 50+50+24=142 and only 6 more after the last increase to make up the border.

So either way I figure it the border is not the same on each side. Maybe it doesn’t need to be, but…seems like it should be.

As far as you getting off of the seed stitch I can see that that would happen given the information you give. If you are supposed to use a YO as the increase and

K1, (P1,K1) 7 times, increase, *[K1, (p1, k1) 4 times, increase]
You would end that first part with a K1 and YO and knit the next stitch. Since a yarn over doesn’t use a stitch you would be knitting two in a row, which would mess up the seed stitch. Like you said maybe that doesn’t matter since the cable set up row is next. I didn’t figure out if when you get to the far border area and its 15 stitches if it throws you back in sequence for the seed stitch. I guess it could, but you’re saying you worked it and it doesn’t.

If we had the whole pattern and a good picture we might be able to see what they are doing and what needs to be done to get that result. At least we would have a better chance of it. There could be a pattern error, but maybe not. Don’t know enough yet to be 100% sure. If you can’t give a link to the pattern, like I said, the next row might be enough to figure it out. :slight_smile:

What’s the row after the increase row? You may be going into the ribbing pattern that’s the basis for the cable row, so wouldn’t have to stay in seed stitch except for the edge borders.

Row 18 (right side): K1, (p1, K1) 5 times, place marker, k1 p2, k4, p2, k1, p4, k4, p4, k1, p2, k4, p2, k1, place marker, *K1 (p1, k1) 7 times, place marker, k1, p2, k4, p2, k1,p4, k4, p4, k1, p2, k4, p2, k1, place marker; repeatr from * once more, k1, (p1, k1) across.
I don’t have a picture or a link, this is from a book that I bought. It has the seed stitch border then a a small cable, then a cabled diamond pattern, then back to the small cable, seed stitch and then it repeats across.
I wonder if it wouldn’t be easier to just cast on the 148 from the start instead of the 139 and then increase.
Any thoughts about that.

Which book? Someone here may have it and can look at the pattern for you.

Our best knit baby afghans by Leisure Arts

the pattern is called For a Bonny Babe

I don’t think you want to do that - all those cables will pull in the sides of the blanket. I think the increases are meant to help keep it square. If you just cast on the total 148, the ends will flare out.

For anyone on Ravelry, here’s a pic:

I think this could be a case of ‘trust the pattern.’ Perhaps they have the increases falling in the non-seed stitch sections.

the increases do fall in the non seed stitich sections, but if you follow row 18, where the seed stitch falls, in the center and the end of the blanket does not work out correctly, I’m knitting knit stitches when I should be purling and can not figure out what I’m doing wrong.
Plus where the yarn over was done there is a hole below, when row 18 is done.
Any suggestions anyone?

thank you for posting the link. I have went there and contacted the knitter on Ravelry to see if there is any helping me or if I just don’t get it.

I think you’ll be okay. Have you done row 17, then row 18 yet? I think you’ll find that it’s as Marilyn posted, that the seed st pattern stays the same - the incs will be in the cabled area. Just give it a try and see how it works.

Now that’s a good idea! (don’t know why I didn’t think of that!!)

As to the increases being yo’s, that seems like they intended holes to be there or else they’d use a different increase. Not so sure I’d like holes there, so I’d probably switch to a different increase.

As to the seed stitch falling in a different order inside the blanket from the border - maybe that’s just how it’s designed. Perhaps the border seed just doesn’t flow into the inside sections well. It probably won’t be so noticable in the overall look of the blanket.

I was working on this non-stop from the time I got involved last night looking at this again. I had it figured out, but didn’t have time to post because I had to go to work. I just worked it all out over the actual stitches to see if it worked and it does.

After reading your information about row 18 (the set up row) and looking at the picture of the first blanket on Rav this is what I figured out. You want to start out with 139 stitches and work your rows of seed stitch. You want the pattern to end up being a border of 11 stitches of seed stitch on each side and 3 panels of the diamond cable with a regular cable on each side of it, and panels of 15 stitches of seed stitch between them.

Here’s what I would do. On the last row of seed stitch before the increases (for the easiest set up) put in some stitch markers like this inserted where needed and working in seed stitch. Work 11, PM; work 29, PM; work 15, PM; work 29, PM; work 15, PM; work 29 PM; work 11 for your total of 139. Now you have it set up for the different panels.

You want to increase 9 stitches and you will do it by increasing 3 in each panel of 29 when you work the next row. Forget the YO increase, I would use any M1 increase you like; like a backward loop or a lifted increase (where you lift the strand between stitches and knit the lifted strand so that it twists so that there won’t be a hole). I tired a backward loop, a lifted in front and then knit it in back and a lifted in back and knit in front and they all work fine. Using one of these increases will not interfer with your sequence of seed stitch. Make the increase and then just work the next stitch as the opposite of whatever appears, like you normally do for seed stitch. Put the increases one near each end of the panel of 29 and one near the middle, total 3. Don’t fret about exacty placement, just put in three spread out over the 29 so that they are now 32.

So increase each 29 panel to 32 and leave the other panels in seed stitch with no increases. You will now have 148 stitches and are ready to work the row 18 as given except you already have your markers in place. You have also made your increases to help the thing not to flare and you have maintained your seed stitch panels, including the borders, and are ready to begin the panels in good style. No holes to speak of either.

I had fun figuring this out. You should see all my scribbles and full size swatch. LOL

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help and dedication. I can’t wait to get home and try this.
Again thank you so much.

the best way we could figure it out to give you a symetrical border and to make sure that the increases were in line with where the cables are going to be (which are a sort of ribbing rather than seed stitch so the disrupted pattern is appropriate) was to actually cast on 138 stitches and increase (row 17)
k1, (p1, k1) 7 times, increase, [k1, (p1, k1) 4times, increase] twice, k1, (p1, k1) 11 times, increase, [(k1, p1) 6 times increase] 3 times, k1, (p1,k1) 11 times, increase, [k1, (p1,k1) 4 times increase] twice, k1, (p1,k1) 7 times. this takes you to 148 stitches

the 1st 4 incrases are purled increase, the 5th is knitted, 6th is purled, and the last 4 are knitted.
the middle panels which are going to become your cables stay the same alternating ribbed sections and seed stitch sections (which are dealt with in row 18).

Now the ‘we’ i was reffering to was myself and my non-knitting but mathematically minded BF who would like to add note:
Hi there, as Tarrentella said, i’m not knitter but i’ve been learning to read the patterns since she is. Looking at the original rows 16 & 17 posted it isn’t possible to get a pattern with seed stitch at both ends since row 16 is an odd numbered seed stitch row and row 17 is an even numbered seed stitch row, you end up with either an overhanging stitch (not helpful) or purled purls and knitted knits. By making rows 1 through 16 even numbered you have a symmetrical increase and the extra increase adds one more reversal of knit to purl ending you with knitted purls and purled knits. Hopefully this will be my first project, if tarrentella will let me borrow her needles :out:

Gee, I thought I had replied to this post… if my response was deleted, I’d like to know why.

Dot

You may have forgot to hit submit, or the web gremlins ate it. I often think I’ve replied to a thread, then later realized I probably went to another tab before sending it. Or the web gremlins ate it…

Dorothy Dot, scroll down. kellee accidentally posted her question two times and your answer is on the other one. It is still there and the only answer on it, all the others are here.

Oh that makes sense, and sometimes happen when the same post is in 2 threads. You can click on your name and there’s a link to `Find more posts by Dorothy Dot’ which will list all the posts you’ve made.

Kellee, that’s an absolutely drop dead gorgeous baby blanket.

I think, after looking at it for awhile that you have to ‘trust the pattern’. It probably only looks complicated; I’ll be finding out because I’m going to cast on for it after I finish the two odd-ball blankets I’m working on.

Thanks for drawing my attention to it!