Seaming Question

I’m making my first hat (woohoo!!!) and am a little confused.

It’s this hat: http://www.knitpicks.com/Ring%20of%20Cables%20Hat%20Pattern_PD50615220.html

I just finished the cable band (the first one shown), but the seaming directions have me a little :?? It says to join with kitchener or favorite invisible seam. Now, I’ve only done kitchener with sock toes but isn’t it only for live stitches? How would I do kitchener, then?

If that’s the wrong way to go, what’s the best method for seaming a cable?

Thanks bunches :cheering:

Yes-kitchener is for live stitches. I am wondering if they meant to tell you to do a provisional cast-on for the cable band and it just got missed somehow. I would use mattress stitch to stitch your cable band together.

Oh dear they better not have meant a different cast on…It just says CO, nothing about a specific one…Oh well. It’s made and I ain’t redoing it.

Thanks! My mattress stitching is always an adventure. I never get it right. I’ll have to be extra careful.

Thanks again!!! :slight_smile:

Yeah, usually if it’s supposed to be provisional, they will say so. It may also be a mistake that they said to use kitchener in the pattern.

You know, you probably don’t [I]have[/I] to use mattress stitch. I just think it makes the end product look tidier, but you could probably use whatever seaming method you want, as there aren’t that many stitches to seam.

There’s a great article on Knitty about seaming that you might want to take a look at:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/mattress.html

You’re right that mattress stitch will probably look the best. I was just wondering if there’s any other stitch to use…mattress and kitchener are all I’m familiar with.

It’s so small though. It’s not a big deal. ^.^

Thanks for the link! :smiley: The garter stitch one is very clear. It’ll come in handy some other time me thinks, too.

You can’t work mattress stitch on a horizontal seam, like this one. This is more like what you do to sew the shoulders of a sweater. Here is a link to a page from a free on-line knitting book about those seams. There are more pages to go to at the bottom for further explanation. Link

Nice link! Thanks a lot :smiley: