Science of gauge pleez

Hello: I have a pretty rational mind, but this gauge thing is still not clear to me. For example: if I have a pattern that calls for 5 stitches to the inch (20 for 4 inches) and I knit in a guage that gives me six stitches to the inch (24stitches for 4 inches). Will my piece be wider, or narrower than the pattern states?

If you have more stitches to an inch than requested in the pattern, then you’re knitting tighter than required and your piece will be narrower. In order to make your knitting looser, you need to go up in needle size until you obtain the required gauge.

Oh my gosh–how simple can it be? I am laughing. Thank you for your command not only of the craft of knitting, but the craft of language as well!

Don’t feel bad - I had to knit up an entire sweater the wrong size before I realized how this actually works - but I will never again forget he rule! :slight_smile:

Just be sure to read the instructions on gauge before you knit it up. Sometimes the gauge is “stockinet stitch” while other times it is “in pattern” It can make a huge difference in how yoru item will fit.

I was coming over to basically ask this question, because I’m taking on my first sweater project since the days before I even knew there was this crazy thing called gauge. Guess I wasn’t the only one having a brain fart! :teehee:

Thanks for the tip knitncook… turns out the pattern I’m doing has a gauge “in pattern.” Without you, I would have missed that!