Scared of sweaters

I would love to be able to knit a sweater, but really the though of it just scares me.:oo: Everytime I look at a sweater pattern it seems really confusing to me. I think the most imtimidating part for me is knitting all these seperate pieces and putting them together…do you sew them?:??

How did you all learn sweaters? What was your first pattern? I was thinking about starting with a baby sweater for my neice since that seems a little less intimidating. Any easy/cute pattern suggestions?

Yes, you are right to begin with an easy one. Find one without fancy stitches. Thats how I began. Personally I LOVE stitching the pieces together on any of my knitting projects. I sew so I guess thats why it doesn’t scare me at all.

Give it a try!!

My first sweater ever was knit for a teddy bear. I think it was good practice. My first sweater for a person was the Hourglass sweater in Last Minute Knitted Gifts. I loved that it was knit in the round. I hate seaming, well I really don’t hate it but I am really not very good at it .

A baby sweater would be great practice. I knitthe quickie baby sweater last week for a baby shower and it turned out really well.

Look for a sweater that uses chunky wool. It will knit up very quickly and then you won’t feel so intimidated. Or knit a baby sweater or a child’s sweater that isn’t so large as an adult sweater, but you will still learn the basics of putting them together.

Don’t let the instructions intimidate you. Just do each row or each set of stitches as you get to them. Don’t think about the end. Then when you have all the parts knit you can delve into the sewing them together. Take them to your LYS and tell them you refuse to have a UFO hanging around but you don’t have a clue as to where to start. They’ll love helping you!

Or you could be like me and knit for 30+ years and not yet knit a full sized adult sweater. Not that I’m afraid of them, but face it, that’s a lot of knitting for something that is worn for such a short period of time where I live! Now if I ever get back to Oregon, THEN I will definitely start knitting sweaters. I’ve made the kids some when they were babies and toddlers, but never for myself.

I didn’t like the idea of seaming, so I started with a sweater done in the round bottom up. It’s in Last Minute Knitted Gifts. placknet neck sweater for kids. I’m very glad I did it. If you want to knit something for yourself, there is an even easier pattern for women in that same book "the hourglass sweater"and if you want to knit something for your husband, the “curse your boyfriend” sweater is very straightforward, bottom up, knitted in the round. (you can leave out the curse, of course!)

And remember, you only have to figure out one row of instructions at a time.

i grabbed my pattern book, scanned in the pages of the pattern and printed it out, circled in BRIGHT PINK the numbers for the size i was making, grabbed my needles and yarn and jumped in both feet first and took it one row at a time.

Keep us updated! I am in the same boat with the fear of sweaters!

Don’t be afraid! It’s just sticks and some string. The worst thing that could happen is you finish it and it doesn’t fit or is ugly…in which case, you can just rip it out and fix it!

I highly recommend a pattern from Knitting Pure and Simple. My first one was #9724 and it was so easy! Top down and no seams! They even have a “knitting your first top down” sweater tutorial!
http://www.knittingpureandsimple.com/knitalong.html

[SIZE=-1]pdf file for the child’s placket neck sweater
[/SIZE]

That link brings me back to KH.:shrug:

Thanks everyone for the encrouagement and suggestions! I’m definitely going for a baby sweater but I just need to find the right pattern.

Jan, that tutorial is great! Its like Silver’s tutorial but for sweaters!

Knitting sweaters are fun! You just take a deep breath and follow the pattern, piece by piece. We are always here to help you, too. When you’re finished you get to show it off to the world. :slight_smile:

I always highlight the numbers for the size I’m doing too; it just eliminates one chance for error. Sweaters knit in the round are great. I really don’t like seaming, perhaps because mine never look very neat, and I hate to ruin a perfectly good sweater by practicing. I’m sure you’ll do fine. Sweaters are a lot of knitting, but just take it one row or round at a time.

I have pattern # 9724…but have been too nervous to start…what yarn did you use?

The link should be - http://www.purlsoho.com/_gr/our_books/childplacketsweater.pdf

Top down pullovers are pretty basic, easy, and have no seaming if you do sleeves in the round except for the underarms.

As everyone says, just follow the pattern one row at a time and you’ll get there.

[B]I’m with Kaydee,

They scare me also.

[/B]

I’m working on my first sweater, a cotton stripey cardie for my 5 year old. It’s really cute and been easy so far.

I’ve made some changes to the pattern. (I’ve never been good at following directions, and I stink at conforming. :wink: ) I’m knitting the body in one piece, working back and forth on circs up to the armpits, then knitting the back and two sides back and forth on top of the body. And I’m going to pick up stitches and knit the sleeves down in the round, instead of knitting them seperately and seaming them on.

Anyway, there’s lots of ways to do it, and I bet if you think about it, you can make almost any pattern your own.

(Of course, I still might end up with a beautiful, cotton piece-of-crap, first sweater, so take my advice with a big grain of salt!)

Well, my second project was a sweater. I just did it. It’s not much harder than a hat for example. Just follow the pattern and you’ll be fine.

I was scared of sweaters, too. But now I see it’s more endurance than anything, especially if you do a stockinette stitch sweater like me. :nails:

I started my first sweater this summer. It’s To Dye For from SnB and is very, very easy–or it would have been, if I hadn’t changed the gauge. I am doing it in a smaller gauge and learned a lot about gauge, measuring, etc. because of this. The algebra involved in calculating the frequency of the sleeve increases and decreases wasn’t fun. I could hardly pass basic algebra 20 years ago. I’ve done the back and 1/2 a sleeve but have put it aside right now to make a present for my mother. It would have been so much easier to just follow the pattern, to have gotten the same yarn and needles. But the actual knitting is simple and nothing to be afraid of.

I also know nothing about seaming, but have been studying up on it for when the big day finally arrives. I didn’t spend a lot on the yarn in case it does turn out to be a complete embarrassment. But it’s my first and I am not going to let that bother me. I’ll just wear it around the house if that’s what happens!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, anyway, most knitting instruction books have a section on seaming and how to choose the best type of seam for whatever it is you are trying to do. That’s what I’ve been studying. I have to go now, but will post some links on seaming for you later.

:roflhard::roflhard::roflhard:

I think I’ll get some inexpensive yarn to start incase I have problems.:teehee: