Same pattern different question

I tried to post this from my phone but I don’t think it posted.

Anyway, there are a few things I have run into about this pattern I don’t understand.

[COLOR=“Blue”]Shape top: 1st row: (RS). K1.
(Pat 12 sts. Sl2. K2tog. p2sso.
With left hand needle, pick up
2 sts just slipped and K2tog into
back of them – Cross dec made.
Pat 12 sts) 4 times. K1. 106 sts.[/COLOR]

I don’t understand what working in pattern means. Also Cross dec where it appears in the last shaping rows. I’ve just finished the first part and now I am going to try the Shaping.

Any help you can offer will be appreciated and maybe I can finish this. Thanks!
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/scarf-and-hat-4081-archive

This sounds like you’re making great progress.
Working in pattern means that you continue the pattern that you’ve set up on the previous rows. You want the pattern to align with the columns of sts already established.

The cross decrease looks the same in all the shaping rows. It’s similar to the pattern stitch that you’ve been doing but instead of slipping one stitch you’ll slip two sts. You can then treat the two slipped sts as one and knit them together through the back loop.

I think I’m getting it but what about Pat 12 sts [COLOR=“Blue”]4 times[/COLOR] Does it mean to Sl2 K2tog and p2sso after each of these 12 Pats and do it 4 times?

If you leave out the “how-to” the directions are:
(Pat 12 sts. Sl2. K2tog. p2sso. Pat 12 sts) 4 times.
So you need to repeat the stitches in the parentheses 4 times. Don’t forget the second pattern 12sts which will make it 24sts between decreases.