Rs

Hi,

I’m trying to knit a blanket, it’s my first real knitting try, and I’ve started and after the part Ive done the pattern says do a RS row, so I looked at the meanings on the pattern and it says RS = Right Side

So I need to do a RS row because the pattern says (cast on 103 sts and work in g-st for 5cm) (which I’ve done) then ,ending with a rs row.

I have a book and I can’t find it in the book, can someone please explain how to do the rs row ?

Thanks

your pattern should have established just after the cast on, in the first few rows, which side was your RS… is it possible to post the actual pattern wording?

BLANKET
Using 4mm needles
and thumb method cast on 103 sts and work in g-st for 5cm, ending with a rs row.

Next Row: K and slip 11sts onto a stitch holder, K81, slip rem 11 sts onto a stitch holder.
Working on centre 81 sts proceed as follows:-
1st Row: Knit.
2nd Row: Purl.
Rep 1t and 2nd rows twice more.
7th Row: Knit.
8th Row: Knit.
1st to 8th tow sets patt.
Keep continuity of patt
(throughout_ cont until work
measures approximately 58cm,

ending with 7th row of patt.
Leave these centre 81 sts on a
thread.
With ws facing, working on 11 sts at
left hand side of work left on a stitch
holder for g-st border proceed as follows:-
Cast on 1 st (this st to be used to
sew border to main part of Blanket),
K11. 12 sts.
Working in g-st cont until border
measures same as main part of
Blanket when slightly stretched,
ending with a rs row.
Leave these 12 sts on a stitch holder.
With rs facing, work on rem 11
sts left on a stitch holder for Border
proceed as follows:-
Cast on 1st (this st to be used to
sew border to main part of Blanket),
K11. 12 sts.
Working in g-st cont until border
measures same as main part of
Blanket when slightly stretched,
ending with a rs row.
Next Row: K10, K2tog, J across 81
sts left on a threat for main part of
Blanket and work across 12 sts left
on a stitch holder for Border as
follows:- K2tog, K10. 103 sts.
Proceed in g-st until Border
measures 5cm, ending with a rs
row. Cast off knitways.

TO MAKE UP
With ws facing, using cast on st at
each side of g-st border sew
borders in position. Make 4 tassels
and attach one to each corner of
Blanket. See ball band for pressing
and care instructions.

(Under it saying that is a drawing picture thing of something saying BULLION ROSE STITCH above it, this pattern tells You how to make jumpers and a hat and things too, I don’t think the ‘bullion rose stitch’ picture is important to the Blanket I’m knitting)

ABBREVIATIONS
alt alternate
inc increase(ing)
rem remain(ing)
tog together
in inch(es)

cont continue
K knit
rep repeat
ws wrong side

dec decrease(ing)
P purl
rs right side
cm centimetres

foll following
patt pattern
st(s) stitch(es)
mm millimetres

1x1 Rib. 1st Row: *K1, P1, rp from * to last st, K1.
2nd Row: *P1, K1, rep from * to last st, P1.
Rep 1st and 2nd rows.
m1. Make one stitch. Pick up loop between last and next stitch and work into the back of this loop.
G-st. Garter Stitch
Every row knit.

(It says ^ under the abbreviations and I’m sure You know the abbreviations, but it’s if some are different or something, I don’t know)

I’ve done the 103 stitch thing and done it a few rows until it’s 5cm, but I don’t know the rs row thing.

Thanks

well, firstly… i didn’t realise i was creating such a lot of work for you by requesting the pattern… thanks for all the typing :hug:

K… a right side isn’t really important with a garter stitch, as both sides are the same, so you could pick a side that you want to designate as the RS, it seems to only become important once you start the stocking stitch:

Working on centre 81 sts proceed as follows:-
1st Row: Knit.
2nd Row: Purl.
Rep 1t and 2nd rows twice more.

My suggestion would be to just pick a side, once your garter border is at the desired size, and the first row you knit from the instructions above, the knit row, will be established as your right side row. When you see any further instructions to start on a right side row, make sure that the v’s of the stockinette part are facing you, and similarly, if you are instructed to end on a right side, then the purl bumps would face you for the next row.

That’s what i would do anyways. :shrug:

When a pattern says ‘ending with a rs row,’ they’re telling you that the last row you should work before the next instruction is a right side. The right side is the side of the pattern that you want the world to see. It would be the side of the blanket that’s up, the side of a sweater that you wear on the outside, etc.