RS keeps switching even though I'm keeping track

Hi :slight_smile:
To anyone who can help me with this, I will be your friend for life! I miss knitting sooooooo much but can’t continue till I figure out this problem.

I do make sure that the same side (tail side) is facing me every single time I start a new row.
But . . . every so often what I wanted to show up on the opposite side, switches!

I didn’t have this problem when working with two individual needles, but only when I started using circular needles. NOTE: I am not knitting in the round, but rather just using the circular needles as I would individual ones (for a flat project).

Thanks so much

The easiest way to keep track of the RS from the WS is to put a safety pin, stitch marker or a piece of scrap yarn to mark which side is which. It shouldn’t make any difference whether you use straight needles or circular when working a flat piece of knitting - you work along the row of stitches, turn, then work back!!
When you say you make sure that the tail side is facing you every single time you start a new row, I’m not quite sure what you mean. Depending on which cast on you’ve used the tail will be either to the left or right of the row -but definitely at one end; say it’s to the left hand side of the needle and say you knit that first row, when you turn :leftwards_arrow_with_hook: to carry on, the tail will now be to the right hand side of the needle.

@notknittingknots Thanks so much for your reply – this was my first post ever and you’re the first one to reply . . I’ll always remember you. :blush:

Since I posted my question, I tried to move on to doing other things (reading, studying, cleaning the house . . .) but I just couldn’t let it go so experimented and figured out what I had been doing wrong!!!
YAY! :tada: :confetti_ball: :star_struck:

Here it is: while doing stockinette, when starting each new row, I had been making sure that the side with the safety pin was facing me.

I guess what I figured out now, is that when doing stock, right side should be facing you on the knit rows, and wrong side facing you on the purled rows.

[I have no idea why my old way of doing it worked on the mittens I made with two regular bamboo needles . . . :thinking: ]

Does that seem correct?

PS I’m sooooooooooo excited to have found this knitting forum. I just started learning and have finished a pair of fingerless mittens. I took a first class one hour several times 20 years ago, each ending in a few inches of knitted rows. But now I have actually completed a project + gave them to my mom as a present + she actually loves them a lot!

Hugs, Maytal :penguin:

3 Likes

This is correct :grinning:
When you are knitting stocking stitch (st.st) stockinette, the right knit side (RS) is the side that looks like VVVVVVVV’s and the wrong purl side (WS) looks like little bumps or dashes - - - - - - -
Welcome to Knitting Help, whenever you need some help or advice just ask and someone will reply as soon as we can.

1 Like