Rowan Pattern: Knit Chart

Hi

Working a repeat pattern from a Rowan Jr sweater (Jo) the chart has a clear key symbol for RS but the WS has no symbol, just K/P abrev.

[pattern download]

(https://knitrowan.com/en/designs-patterns/finder?sort_by=field_launch_date&combine=&search_api_views_fulltext=&f[0]=field_designer_name%3A14773&action=&page=3)

chart key

I’ve attached a screenshot from the pattern but don’t know how to rotate it so it’s hard to read.

The boxes without a symbol are knit on the RS and purl on the WS, the ones with dots are purl on the RS and knit on the WS. Which way you work a stitch is determined by which side you are on.

I believe you’re working flat so RS rows are read right to left; WS rows are read left to right.

So right side (rs)is worked from right to left. and wrong side (ws) from left to right interpreting the key as illustrated in blue above the chart ?

Clarification: the blue legend is interpreted from right to left and left to right. Solid boxes (blue) K; blue box with dot P. I couldn’t translate the WS K/P had no boxes :wink:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

You got it figured out? Good. Once you get the hang of charts they’re great! Much easier than trying to find one stitch in a row of instructions that’s three or four lines long! At least it is for me.

Finding a convenient spot in the repeating pattern to place stitch markers can help you stay on track, if you haven’t already figured that out. Unless in the pattern there are instructions for using markers I think I’d mark the knit between purls on the first row of the chart so that I can count between the markers and make sure I’m getting my stitch count right. HTH