Row 5 in debbie bliss book 7 page 38 (pattern called Lisa)

In debbie bliss book seven in the pattern “Lisa” on page 38, the PATTERN PANEL on the bottom of the left hand side of the page says “6th to 12th rows Rep the last 4 rows once more…” Does that mean the last 4 rows that form the cable pattern which are listed on the right hand side of the page near the bottom? If so, what happened on row 5?
The PATTERN PANEL on the left side says “5th row P2,k4,k4,p2.” but this 16 stitch description isn’t referred to in the pattern. What should I do for all 100 stitches on row 5?
How do I find the person who wrote the pattern? I have been to two yarn stores and both of the knitting instructors can’t understand this pattern.
Thank you in advance,
Lauren

I checked Debbie Bliss Online for pattern corrections, and none were listed for this pattern. I also searched for “Lisa corrections Debbie Bliss book seven” and didn’t find other problems either.

You might be able to find how how to contact the company on the website above. I haven’t knit this so we’ll have to wait and see if someone comes alone who has…

sorry i’m not much help!

I don’t know the pattern, but generally `repeat the last 4 rows’ means to repeat the previous 4 rows, which woud be 2-5. Working the stitches in Row 5 looks like a setup for a cable row, and there’s 12 stitches there, not 16.

If that still doesn’t make sense, you might email DB from her website asking about it. There could be a typo that no one’s found yet.

sue

Thanks to suzeeq from Wyoming for a reply to my row 5 problem in the debbie bliss book seven.
I went to the debbie bliss web site. They have a page of pattern corrections. None of which is this row 5 problem.
I tried to log in to ask about this problem. The site says “the club is full” and won’t let me sign up to log in. I CAN’T ASK THE PEOPLE WHO MADE THE PATTERN.
I agree that pattern panel row 5(p2,k4,p4,k4,p2) doesn’t have 16 sititches. The pattern panels row 1-4(panel rows 1-4) are repeatedly embedded into 4 other rows that set the pattern position (position rows 1-4). The position rows 1-4 have 2 more stitches on each end where the panel rows are embedded. Thus 16.
Nowhere is the panel row 5 embedded.
The other problem with repeating the “last 4 rows” is WHICH last 4 rows, panel rows or position rows? There is no position row 5.
Lauren from Utah

Doesn’t matter what the rows are doing - repeat the previous 4 rows is the previous 4 rows.

Maybe if you typed out word for word what the pattern reads (not the chart) beginning with Row 1, that could help up. And that’s not a copyright infringement if it’s only part of the pattern.

sue

Sue. Again thank you for all the time you are putting in to helping me. Lauren
Here’s what the pattern says after the ribs are made for the bottom of the back of the sweater:

"Inc row Rib 12, m1, rib 2, m1, rib 20, rep from twice more, m1, rib 2 m1, rib 12. 100 sts.
Work in pattern as follows:
1st row P12, *k4, p2, work across 1st row of patt panel p2; rep from *twice more, k4, p12.
2nd row K12, *p4, k2, work across 2nd row of patt panel k2; rep from * twice more, p4, k12.
3rd row P12, *C4F, p2, work across 3rd row of patt panel p2; rep from * twice more, C4F, p12.
4th row K12, *p4, k2, work across 4th row of patt panel k2; rep from * twice more, p4, k12.
These 4 rows form the cable patt and set the patt panel position.
Cont in patt panel until back measures 30 cm…

PATTERN PANEL (worked over 16 sts)
1st row P1, T3F, T3B, p2, T3F, T3B, p1.
2nd row K2, p4, k4, p4, k2.
3rd row P2, C4B, p4, C4B, p2.
4th row As 2nd row.
5th row P2, k4, p4, k4, p2.
6th to 12th rows Rep the last 4 rows once more, then 2nd to 4th rows again.
13th row P1, T3B, T3F, p2, T3B, T3F, p1.
14th row K1, p2, (k2, p2) 3 times, k1.
15th row (T3B, p2, T3F) twice.
16th row P2, k4, p4, k4, p2.
17th row K2, p4, C4B, p4, k2.
18th row As 16th row.
etc. to 28th row

ABBREVIATIONS
m1 = make one by picking up the loop lying between st just worked and next st and working into back of it.
C4B = slip next 2 sts onto cable needle and hold at back of work, k2, then k2 from cable needle.
C4F = slip next 2 sts onto cable needle and hold at front of work, k2, then k2 from cable needle.
T3B =slip next st onto cable needle and hold at back of work, k2 then p1 from cable needle.
T3F = slip next 2 sts onto cable needle and hold at front of work, p1, then k2 from cable needle."

Sue you’d be a life saver if you can interpret this. Again, my question is what to do for the 5th and 6th rows.
Lauren

For the part that you’re not understanding: Work the 5th row as written. The 6th row will be a repeat of the 2nd. On the 7th row, rpt the 3rd; on the 8th row rpt 4th; on the 9th row, rpt 5th; R 10, rpt 2nd, R 11, rpt 3; R 12, rpt 4th row. Then go on to R 13. You’ll notice R 16 is the same as R 5, and it’s repeated again on R 18. There’s cables and twists on Rows 1 and 3; row 5 just has you work the stitches without them.

Have you begun to work on this part yet? If you’re just reading it ahead of time, sometimes it’s hard to visualize and doesn’t make sense until you actually do it. Like Ingrid says, “Trust the pattern”.

:wink:

sue

Thank you, Sue.
The description of the row 5 pattern has 12 stitches in it as you so aptly noted in your first communication with me. The whole row of the back of the sweater has 100 stitches in it. 12 stitches on each end are not involved in the cables. The 12 on each end are alternating p and k with the nubby side on the front.
Subtracting both 12’s from the 100 leaves 76 stitches. 76 is not evenly divisble by 12 which is how many stitches are described in the row 5 pattern.
I can’t see where the extra 4 stitches are described in the pattern. Am I missing where they are written? I can assume that they are p on top of k and k on top of p. But it’s only an assumption.
Lauren

But in the first post, you wrote: “5th row P2,k4,k4,p2” and when you typed out the pattern “5th row P2, k4, p4, k4, p2” which is 16. You evidently left out a k4 the first time. All the other pattern rows have 16, too.

The whole row of the back of the sweater has 100 stitches in it. 12 stitches on each end are not involved in the cables. The 12 on each end are alternating p and k with the nubby side on the front.
Subtracting both 12’s from the 100 leaves 76 stitches. 76 is not evenly divisble by 12 which is how many stitches are described in the row 5 pattern.
I can’t see where the extra 4 stitches are described in the pattern. Am I missing where they are written? I can assume that they are p on top of k and k on top of p. But it’s only an assumption.
Lauren

You are missing a whole bunch of sts. Okay, let’s look at the first row, as an example –

"1st row P12, *k4, p2, work across 1st row of patt panel p2; rep from *twice more, k4, p12. "

Besides the 12 sts at the beg and 12 at end of the row, there’s the k4, p2 which is not part of the pattern panel and a p2 at the end of the panel, plus another k4 before the end of the row. So you’re working 12 + 4 + 2 + 16 pattern sts + 2 + 4 +2 + 16 pattern sts + 2 + 4 + 2 + 16 pattern sts +2 +4 +12. That adds up to 100 sts. It’s not just the 12sts on each end, and the panel stitches you’re working; there’s more sts on either side of the panel.

sue

My bad
Lauren

You’re not the first, and you won’t be the last, to misread a pattern. I’ve done my share of it.

sue

Thanks Sue
Lauren