Round knitting

How do I join round knitting? As in Im making a beanie cap that must be joined into a circle but I dont know how to.I have to cast on 72 stitches and somehow join them into a circle.Then I must work one inch of K1P1 rib,then increase 8 stitches evenly spaced around.Then I’ve gotta work in stockinette until total length is about 4 1/2 or 5 inches.Then I would like to add in contrast stipes.But the big problem is I dont understand any of this.I only know how to cast on 72 stitches.

Check out Amy’s videosfor knitting in the round…its very easy the most important thing to remember is keeping your sts turned the same way, if not you will get a twist :thumbsup:

To ‘join’ is nothing more than to form the needle into a circle with the yarn on the right hand needle and knit into the first stitch on the left needle. But the needle needs to be shorter than the number of sts you’re using or they won’t fit all the way around. If you have a longer needle, you can make a loop in the cord halfway around the sts to make it shorter so the sts will be at the ends on both needle tips.