Right side wrong side - Stockinette stitch

I am trying to knit my first project I dont understand why my stockinette stitches in one area are flat and bumping in another on the same side - do i put the project flap to the right if I have decided on that as right side or flap left - same knitting left to right - how to knit on the right side and always keep stockenette flat on thr right side Thanks for any info!!! :pray:

Welcome to KH!
Are you getting purl bumps on a side that should be Vs? If so it may help to read your knitting in the sense that when you see a row of Vs, knit that row and when you see a row of bumps or collars, purl that row.
A safety pin, stitch marker or loop of scrap yarn on the RS of your project is a helpful reminder.
If that’s not the problem, a photo might help us. Use the landscape icon at the top of the Reply box to post a photo.

What pattern are you following?

[quote=“jennjun, post:1, topic:133748, full:true”]
I am trying to knit my first project I dont understand why my stockinette stitches in one area are flat and bumping in another on the same side - do i put the project flap to the right if I have decided on that as right side or flap left - same knitting left to right - how to knit on the right side and always keep stockenette flat on thr right side Thanks for any info!!! :pray:
[/quote]

Hello, Thanks for your fast response ! I am using the Bluprint pattern - https://shop.mybluprint.com/knitting/supplies/bluprint-box-knitting/636796
first project - it looks like the stockinette stitch at first is on the right side and then later it is on the wrong side I am not sure what it means to knit on the right side.
Why does it matter to put a marker on the right side do I always knit from there or from the wrong side it seems like when I knit a row from left to right then bring the needle back I just pick up there so I am not choosing a side - the process chooses if for me - or I have it all wrong!! lol Thanks for reviewing!!!

When you work stockinette stitch the knit side (the right side or front side of stockinette) shows Vs and the purl side (the wrong side or back) shows bumps.
A marker on the V side reminds you that you should knit across the row. Your knitting will also tell you which side you’re on and whether to knit or purl the row.
If you start knitting on what should be a purl row or purling on what should be a knit row, then the right side/wrong side will flip as it is in your knitting. Sometimes putting down the knitting and forgetting where you were will cause this to happen but a marker or a careful look at Vs or bumps will guide you.

Hello, Thanks, this is starting to make sense - I am working on the other glove and so far it is working based on the info you sent - I am changing it based on which side shows up while it knits, Thanks for you help!!! :+1::grinning::tada: