(Right Side) Question

I am a new knitter, and I am working on dishcloth. The dishcloth has a diamond pattern.

Rows 1-4: Knit across.
Row 5 (Right side): K7, P1, (K5, P1) 5 times, K7.
The pattern lists instructions for the next 5 rows, up to row 10, and then says to repeat rows 5 - 10.

It is my understanding that with the first 4 rows being knit, there is not really a “right side” or a “wrong side” for row 5, so I don’t have to do anything special there.

However, I am confused about what to do on row 11, when I repeat the instructions for row 5. I know I need to do something different, but I am not clear what that is exactly.

Thanks for your help. I am really appreciate it. :slight_smile:

Please link to the pattern if possible so we can help you better.

Unfortunately, the exact pattern I am using is not online. I am knitting from the Leisure Arts Kitchen Bright Dishcloths pamphlet.

You don’t have to do anything different. The pattern tells you that row 5 [I]will be[/I] the RS row, so will row 11; you don’t repeat rows 1-4, they’re just the border.

Rows 1-4: Knit across.
Row 5 (Right side): K7, P1, (K5, P1) 5 times, K7.
The pattern lists instructions for the next 5 rows, up to row 10, and then says to repeat rows 5 - 10.

Rows 1-4 are garter stitch edging but row 1 of that is the right side for this piece. So every odd numbered row is the right side. Row 5, your first pattern row is the right side (odd row) and when you repeat rows 5-10 you will just repeat them in sequence. You don’t have to do anything special. Row 5 was an odd numbered row and the RS and row 11 is an odd numbered row as well and it will naturally fall to the right side. After row 10 just go back and start again at row 5 and do each of those 5 rows as many times as you need to and they will always be putting the right sides in the right places.

You don’t really need to do anything different. You have a six-row repeating pattern. Row 11 should be on the right side (same side as row 5, where all the odd rows are,) so just start knitting the same pattern you used on Row 5. When you turn your work for Row 12, knit what you did on Row 6, and so on.

If you need help remembering which is the right side, put a safety pin on the right side of your work when you start row 5.

Thank you all for your quick replies and guidance. I guess I was making things much harder than they had to be. I will let you all know how it turns out! :slight_smile: