Ridgeway Lite #304 - Sweater

I am about 2/3 finished with a sweater for my fabulous son-in-law, Andrew. This sweater has some interesting design elements (nalgar shaping for the shoulders and sleeves) and a broken rib pattern that constantly has me losing sleep over both “breaking” the pattern because of the increases and in making certain to get the increases correct using “shape lines” which I had never heard of, but with the help of my local yarn shop guru, Karen, I am both learning and making headway. I continue to discover new resevoirs of patience and self-love in this knitting journey!IMG_0976

3 Likes

That is a challenge but you’re working it out so well. I can’t wait to see this lovely sweater complete.

salmonmac,
Thank you for the encouraging words - your responses always provide a much needed smile!

Well, it looks like this labour of love is coming along beautifully!

Lovely piece. Looking forward to seeing the finished project. Thanks to all the talented people at yarn shops who are willing to help us. Videos can do only so much.

Effless,
Thank you for the encouragement. I am learning that the way a designer words their pattern makes a tremendous difference in the ease or difficulty in the actual execution of the project. This one is particularly challenging because while the designer makes every attempt to be helpful by adding “Reality Checks” the way she writes the whole pattern is to first describe each section, then lay out the directions for that section. In so doing, I have found that I have even more questions that arise from comparing the section description to the actual directions as given. Live and learn is the lesson here and probably the best part is being patient and asking for help here BEFORE taking action that may not be reversible.

It sounds like quite a learning experience. Good for you to stick with it the way you have! Now I need to find out what “shape lines” are . . . .

Hi justfriends3,
I believe “shape lines” may be the invention of Elizabeth Zimmerman, who is one of the grand dames of the knitting world. She invented the “nalgar” neckline/sleeve shaping which is “raglan” spelled backward, because it shaped just like raglan, but inverted. The shape lines are established by setting stitch markers as indicated by the designer in the pattern and then increasing (or decreasing) in relation to those shape line markers. The result is very cool, but the way the pattern was written was pretty daunting, to say the lease. Karen, my yarn store guru helped me parse out exactly what I needed to do and it worked like a charm. I am almost done with the body and will go on to finish the sleeves next week. Knitting is what is keeping my feet on the ground in these crazy times.

1 Like