Ridge stitch

Hey. I´m new here and I need help! I´m knitting a top and I cant understand some instructions in pattern. English is not my native language so sometimes I have to find videos or blogs with special technics explained. Now I don´t know how to make a ridge stitch. I saw a video but I don´t know how to apply it to my pattern instruction. Here it is :

When piece measures 42-43-44-45-46-47 cm work 2 ridges over the middle 12-14-16-20-24-28 sts in each side (work the other sts as before). On next row from RS after the ridges, cast off the middle 6-8-10-14-18-22 sts in each side for armholes and finish front and back pieces separately.

Could you please help me and explain this to me?
Could you please write steps how to proceed?
Thank you very much!

What size are you making? Is this in garter stitch (knit every row)?

Welcome!
To Metylda’s questions I’d also add,
What pattern is this?
Can you give us a pattern name or a link?
Does your pattern define the ridge stitch?

Thanks for your answers :slight_smile:
It´s this pattern:

The part about ridges is in the TOP column, nearly at the end. In addition to pattern, I´m doing it in just one color, not stripped.
The TOP part is done in stockinette st and size S.

What a cute top!
At the beginning of the pattern it says: GARTER ST (back and forth): K all rows. 1 ridge = 2 rows K. So I’m going with it wants you to make two garter stitch ridges, meaning you’ll knit four rows.
I only know English so I’m really impressed by people who can speak/read more than one language. :slight_smile:

Thank you. It’s been a crazy day at school and work for me. I haven’t had a chance to check back for the answers to my questions.

I noticed that note in garter stich but I was confused that there is pattern change. But now I realise that it is under the arm holes .
Thank you for your answer, it is clear for me now :slight_smile:

1 Like

wow this is cool

I’m glad I could help. Sometimes a different set of eyes that’s not frustrated with a pattern can see it more easily. That happens for all of us I think. Enjoy your knitting and if you get stuck on something else post about it so another set of eyes can look.

New photo by Taran Agnew
Can someone help me with figuring out what ridges are it says i have to have 17 ridges on the right side.

Welcome to KH!
When you knit every row the resulting stitch is called garter stitch. In garter stitch 2rows equal 1 ridge. If you need 17 ridges, that would be 34 rows. Count the ridges on the RS or public side of the piece.
What pattern are you following?

just a simple slipper pattern

is the right side where the stitches blend in and the wrong side the side that the stitches push out (you see them)?

In the beginning of your pattern the instructions say to knit 2 ridges (4 rows). Once you have 2 ridges on whatever side, start knitting stockinette with the knit row. From now on that will be the RS of the knitted garment. Put a marker or safety pin on that side to remind yourself that that’s the RS.
In garter stitch, the completed ridges actually alternate sides. One side starts the ridge while the other side has a completed ridge.

how do you keep your stitches from sliding off from aluminum knitting needles?

When you put down your needles? You can buy stoppers for the needle tips or you can wrap rubber bands or use corks on the ends.
If the sts are falling off while you’re knitting you might slow up to make sure that doesn’t happen or you might change to a “grabbier” needle type. Maybe bamboo or wood.

I already have 12 rows on my needles, and the pattern is row one is knit and row two is knit 11 purl 1

Is this still the Sea Line top pattern from Drops (see earlier posts) or is it another pattern? Can you give us a name or a link to the pattern?