Rick Rack Purse- MORE questions!

Rick Rack Purse help…

I’m doing the welt at the bottom and it says to “pick up the back loop of the stitch from the first round”. I think I understand the principle, but when they say “back loop” does that mean to pick up the stitch from the inside of the purse? I started doing that, but I’m not sure it’s right and don’t want to mess up.

Thanks! :hug:

I’m having a hard time telling based on just the photo, but I’d be really surprised if they want you to pick up from inside the purse–though that does seem like the back loop…

Do you suppose they want you to pick up through the left side of the stitch? I mean, when your stitches are on the needle, the yarn that’s on the RS is the right side of the loop. If you were going to put those stitches back on a needle, you’d stick it under the right side…maybe they want you to use the left side, since on the needle that would have been the back?

I think sara_jayne has made a few - I’m sure she has an answer for you if she doesn’t see this post.

Jan –

I have this pattern, too, but I haven’t made any yet. Could this be similar to what you do when making clogs & you make the “roll” for the cuff?

I’ll PM SJ & let her know this thread is here.

:muah:

I’ve only made 6 Rick Racks! :shrug: :teehee:

Jan, you are right, you pick up on the INSIDE of the bag. I used the CC loops from where I first added the CC color and used that to keep an even line around the bag. It will look odd before felting because the bag seems so floopy, but when in felts the yarn in the “fold” where you’ve made that welt, will felt together and make a sturdy base so the bag can stand up on it’s own.

You actually do create a ridge all around the bag…

Here is a picture pre-felted - it might help visualize it.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

ETA: Picture

Thanks Sara and all!

That’s what I figured, but I wanted to make sure since it looked kind of weird…like the ridge was too high. I’m not doing a contrasting color on the ridge (per daughters wants) so it’s not quite as easy to see which stitch to p/u. I may run a thread through that stitch beforehand.

BTW…is this how the ridge is done on the clogs? I have the pattern, but haven’t made them yet.

Without having knit the Rick Rack Purse yet, I’d have to tentatively answer “yes.” :mrgreen:

I should be an attorney.

Having knit both the purse and the clogs I can say ‘Yes’ it is the same as the bumper on the clogs.

Why, thank you, Amanda, for confirming my suspicions. :wink:

I’m adding to this thread although that may or may not be a good idea… :??

Anyhoo…I had a heck of a time picking up those darn stitches because I am doing the welt in the same color as the bottom so it’s hard to see. I thought I had it and started knitting upwards, but one side of the welt was larger. Being the perfectionist that I am I frogged it. :doh: I didn’t know if that would make a difference in the end and since it’s for my perfectionist daughter I thought frogging was a good idea. I’m thinking that I’ll run a different color along with the base color so I can pick up the correct stitch and then later picking out the colored thread…would that work?

Soooo I started again, but I’m wondering something. I am using 2 strabds Paton’s Classic Wool rather than WOTA (more color choices) and I started with size 10.5 needles as per instructions. However it seems like the fabric is too dense. Maybe Patons is slightly heavier or is that the way it’s supposed to be? I restarted with size 11 needles and it’s slightly looser which is better for felting…no?

I used Patons on mine… and I didn’t have 10.5 dpns at that time so used 11s and didn’t have any problems… it felted very well for me…

I also think adding another thread on the base would work too… :happydance:

I frogged it yet again. That welt is kicking my butt. :hair: I can’t get it to come out right even if I do run a colored yarn for that first row so I know which one to choose. I’m setting it aside for a bit and working on something less frustrating then I’ll come back to it.

Thanks for the help! I"m sure I’ll be back soon when I start it again.

I frogged it yet again. That welt is kicking my butt. :hair: I can’t get it to come out right even if I do run a colored yarn for that first row so I know which one to choose. I’m setting it aside for a bit and working on something less frustrating then I’ll come back to it.