Ribbing

Arg! I KNOW this was addressed a few days ago, and for the life of me, I can’t seem to find the thread. People were discussing a ribbing that looked very professional, and there were links to other websites showing the technique. Can anyone point me to this?

Thanks,
Alison

http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2004/12/a_bit_of_braggi.html

There ya go!

Thank you, Miss Ingrid!!!

A.

I am still totally challenged by ribbing. I have already ripped this project out, but will you look at the pic and tell me if maybe those suggestions will help? I’m going to try it, but I can’t tell if I am just horrible at ribbing, if it looks that way because it’s still on the needles or what… I really hate this because it makes me feel like a bad knitter even though my other skills are fine and I wind up avoiding ribbing like the plague. :frowning: It’s not the best pic, sorry. Thanks!

I swear by the tip in Nona’s blog. If you want to see a before and after, let me know and I’ll take a pic of an unfinished project I have here that’s ribbed the “normal” way. Compare it to the ribbing I posted here {and on my blog}, and you’ll see how much neater it is. The one other thing I’m wondering is what size of needle are you using in comparison to the yarn/wool? Could it be loose because of that?

i’m casting on while i work so i am definitely going to try nona’s method. i have a hard time recognizing the deliberately twisted stitches though, but i’m going to give it a whirl. I guess it will be like every 3rd stitch if i’m doing a 2x2 rib… It is Lion Microspun pictured, which normally calls for 3.25-mm needles, but the pattern calls for 3.5 so that’s what I’m on currently.

Thanks for your help!

(edited) ok well, i didn’t have the anticipated trouble identifying the twisted stitches, but i’ve gotten a few rows in and it looks just as shameful as my prior attempt. i think ribbing is just not for me, although i don’t understand why, and i will continue on with my “decorative” rolled edge items. i didn’t want to make an ipod sock anyway! :frog: