Ribbing

I am working on my first scarf, as I continue to work on purling and knitting. I found this very simple pattern which I thought would be a good start.

Scarf #3: Cast on 30 sts.
Rows 1 - 4: K all sts.
Rows 5 - 8: *K 1, p 1, repeat from * across.

Once I get to row six, I get confused. Should rows 6 and 8 start with knit stitches or purls? I was thinking that since I’m going back the other way that it won’t match. Is this right or do I do just as instructed and start with knitting?

Yes, rows 5, 6, 7, and 8 will all be the same. You’ve got 30 sts which is divisible by the 2 sts in your pattern - k1, p1. So all rows will start the same way.

As long as you are not going back to the first 1-4 rows of knitting straight across, then yes. Start with K1, P1… each row.

If that is a pattern that you continue over the whole scarf , it sounds like bands of garter and seed stitch. Garter is knit every row, rows 1-4 and seed stitch is k1, p1, and the following rows you put knits over purls and purls over knits. With an even number of stitches (like 30) that will always start with a knit stitch.

That will make a nice flat scarf with a little interest to the look.

No if there’s an even number of sts, it would be k1, p1 every row (5-8) so you knit the knits and purl the purls. It’s ribbing, not seed stitch.

Suzeeq is right, I am wrong, wrong wrong. :oops: That has been happening a lot lately. And I stopped to think about it too. :slight_smile: Maybe I should keep my mouth shut. Like that is going to happen. :lol: Thanks for catching that Sue.

I look over my posts before I send them and look at the one I’m replying to in order to make sure my answer is right and that I’m answering the right question. Sometimes I’m realllly off…!

I am so grateful for all the help you guys can give!

As it stands, I think I still need to practice knitting and purling. I am having a tremendously hard time with ribbing; it doesn’t look right at all and I think it’s because my purling needs a lot of work.

Instead of the above pattern, which I’ll do at a later date, I’m working on a “practice” scarf that will be two knit rows, two purl rows, until I have something that’s six feet long. Figure then I’ll have something warm and lots and lots of practice!

Thanks again!

That’s a good idea, work on a practice piece and you’ll train your hands and fingers and brain how to make it all work.