Ribbing

Hi,
I’m making one of the incredible raglan sweaters too.
I need help on ribbing. What are common ways to knit ribbing? (It’s my first sweater, obviously!)
Thanks,

There are several ways to do ribbing.

1x1, 2x2…

1x1 (K1, P1) is quite stretchy but thick and nice looking.

2x2(K2, p2) is more decorative and slghtly stretchy.

Just be sure that you have the correct amount of stitches for a rib. For a 1x1 rib you need an even amount of stitches to start.

For 2x2, you need a number of stitches divisible by 4 as there are 4 stitches involved in making a 2x2 rib.

Oh yeah… and remember, when working in ribbing you work one row however you want (k1, p1… or K2 P2…) and when you turn your work, be sure you are purling in the purl stitches on that side and knitting into the knit stitches. If you purl into knit and knit into purl, you’ll end up with seed stitch.

Hi,
Ribbing is a combination of knit and purl stitches. Some of the MOST common are K1, P1 - repeat across row, and K2, P2 - repeat across row.
On the succeeding rows you’ll knit the knits and purl the purls as they appear on that side of the knitting. This gives you alternating columns of Vs(knit stitches) and purl bumps. The purl bumps “recede” into the fabric and help make the ribbed edge more stretchy than ordinary knitting. One other rib pattern I like a lot is K3, P2. It all depends on your stitch count: divisible by 5 or 4 or 3 as to the ribbing that fits the object the best.

Happy Ribbing!!

Mary

I’m doing a really pretty one right now that looks like 3x3 ribbing, but with seed stitch in place of purls.